couple anchor point ??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DoeEyed

couple anchor point ??

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 pm

When set up correctly with the proper draw length is the string supposed to touch the tip of your nose or can it be a little to the side?

Also, does a string loop need to be used? Does anyone clip their release directly to the string?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jdbllung

RE: couple ??

Postby Jdbllung » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 am

It all depends on what you are comfortable with.  My string doesn't touch my nose but just barely touches my right cheek.  I attach my release to string that is protected by a serving.  My nock point is above the arrow nock, then the nock, then a rubber bumper under the nock, and my release attaches under the bumper.  I use a trigger finger release and anchor my thumb at the back of my jaw line.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 am

I'm no expert, but I feel as long as you hold the bow the same way, every single time, you'll be ok.

My string touches the front, right tip of my nose.

The string loop (also called "D" loop) is recommended....at least according to the PSE advice giver on the Bow Madness DVD I was watching last night.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 am

When I bought my bow a couple months ago, they instructed me to anchor at the right side tip of my nose as stated above.  I now use a kisser button in the corner of my mouth and my nose as a secondary anchor.  I also use a D loop shooting a PSE..
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:35 am

I have mentioned elsewhere that I have a rather long draw (30") for someone 5'8". I shoot a release clipped to a string loop. My anchor is my thumb hooked over my neck, just behind my right ear. The string barely touches my cheek.

It has never been a problem.

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 am

Like Patriot said, as long as you anchor in the "same spot every time" you should be fine! I actually have three "points of contact" when I anchor, my knuckle at the base of my ear(I shoot a release on a string loop), the string touching the tip of my nose, and the vane touching the corner of my mouth (I shoot cock feather up so, the hen feather touches my mouth). To some, that may seem like a "high anchor" but, it works for me! I think its more important for you (or anyone else) to anchor in way that is comforatable and easy to repeat time after time! Like I said, I do use a loop, I have a 29" draw and I shoot a very short axle to axle bow (29 3/4 "). The loop (for me any way) helps eliminate string pinch.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 am

Tip of nose is correct. Attaching your release directly to the string will work fine, but causes wear, nock pinch and sometimes torque. If you choose not to use a loop, use a release that has rope for the hook up. Loop is better overall.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 am

I've never shot with a string loop and think I'm a pretty decent shot w/out it.  Maybe someday when I get that new PSE X-Force with the broken string I'll put one on!
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I found out yesterday that my draw length with a loop is 24.5in. with the string touching the tip of my nose. That short of a draw is kinda limiting when shopping for a bow. The draw length on the bow I'm shooting now is 27in. Obviously I need to do something about that since it's way to long. Having a severely changed anchor point is going to take alot of adjustment!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:03 pm

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

Thanks for the feedback guys. I found out yesterday that my draw length with a loop is 24.5in. with the string touching the tip of my nose. That short of a draw is kinda limiting when shopping for a bow. The draw length on the bow I'm shooting now is 27in. Obviously I need to do something about that since it's way to long. Having a severely changed anchor point is going to take alot of adjustment!

You will shoot better, everything will come from the center of the string and be more consistent, you should feel it immediately

Return to Archery and Bowhunting