Releases

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MSHunter

Releases

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:50 pm

I purchased my first bow this past Sunday, a Bear Archery Lights out compound bow from Bass Pro. The salesman suggested I use a release. Does anyone have any suggestions on makes/models? Or doesn't really matter? Any input would be helpful.

paulie

RE: Releases

Postby paulie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:57 pm

I would suggest you try a few to see what you like. I use a Tru-fire "elite 360". I like it because you can adjust both trigger tension, and trigger travel. I know Scott makes a good release as does Cobra. Like I said, I would try to "test" a few to find out what feels best to ya.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

I agree with Paulie, try them out first. Tru ball and tru fire both make good releases. There are many to choose from and many prices to choose from as well.
I personally think Carter makes the best releases but they are costly.

Do you have a string loop?

I would get a wrist release that is adjustable in length. This way you will be able to adjust it for yourself.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm

As the rest have said, try some and see what fits best, and feels most comfortable, my Tru-Fire just took a crap on me a few weeks ago and i got a "T.R.U Ball Hunter Glove II" and i LOVE it, it didn't feel l right at first but after a few shots i got used to it and love it,( hence try out whatever release u get before u buy it, it may not feel good at first but u adjust some things and get used to it) i shoot so much better with it too, it has helped me with a lot less struggling to hold the bow back for long times, (not that i really struggled to hold back) it is just noticeably easier to hold my bow back, im more relaxed and can focus more on the target and my archery scores are indicating of that, after shooting some low 200's for the first weeks of league i am no shooting over 250 with the new T.R.U. Ball, i love it!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm

I've owned my fair share of releases, and the ones I have now are by far my favorite and I'll continue to buy them if need be.  They are Tru Ball.  Very nice releases!  I think they both ran about $90 each...I bought one for target shooting and one for hunting.  I didn't want to mix and match so not to get sweat and other scents on the one I brought out in the field!
QDM!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Releases are such an individual thing, it's hard to advise except by your personal feel. Quality brands are Tru Ball and Tru Fire, I use Tru Ball Pro Diamond because it works well as both a back tension target release and a caliper hunting release.

You must feel comfortable with the release you choose, if that mean paying a little more skrimp in another area to get the right release for you.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Everyone,
Thank you for your responses. Since my original post, I've continued to research this topic. I've narrowed done my choices to 3 or 4 releases. The next step will be to try them out to decide which I like best.  In response to Goose, I do have a loop on the bow string. I'll be taking my bow with me when I'm ready to try out the releases and make my purchase.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 am

Good luck and tell us what your opinions where when testing them.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 am

I'm a little late to the conversation but I was in the same boat 2 months ago when I bought my first bow.

A story I must share, I was testing releases and easily narrowed my choices.  I knew I had the right one when I stopped punching myself in the face by inadvertently hitting the trigger!!!!  I chose a Tru Ball and love it!! -- Like everyone said already, test test test. 
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks for the tip. The guy at Bass Pro talked about people inadvertently pull on the trigger. This will be a big issue for me as I was constantly placing my finger on the test release when having my bow fitted. I figure that a few good punched to the face will cure me of this bad habit.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting