Anchor Point

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Demoderby4

RE: Anchor Point

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 am

I think my anchor point/kisser button is a bit off, at least that is what a few guys at league have said. Yesterday was the worst, but recently my arrows are not shooting straight from the bow at all, they are shooting out of the bow in a weird way, i cant explain it, and they are sticking out of the targets with the knock tilting upwards a lot of the time, instead of straight in. What do you guys think could be the problem? Also, my whisker biscuit is taking a beating, the bottom of it is getting all torn apart, I want to get a drop away rest anyway, but I know that whats happening is not normal. I will be taking my bow into a local shop probably tomorrow to see what they say and see if i can get it fixed.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 am

Sounds like you need to lower your nock point. It may have slipped up the serving due to tension from your fingers/release.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Thats what I was thinking an what everyone has been telling me, I'll have to ask them to help me out when ever i end up going there, thanks!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:30 am

that sound right wandereror he's pinching his arrow nock...I went from one nock "beed" to 2  in order to prevent that

Woods Walker I shoot a hoyt raider/intruder limbs...at 51#s...I started out on a borrowed 50 yr olld  #45 Kodiak recurve  2nd yr I took my first deer...pic below then switched to a faster (slow to todays standards) hoyt...but I don't do well with machanical stuff and lft eye dom. rt hand shooter so still instinctive and fingers ...I want to feel my bow string..understand? Just like I need to feel the road ...so I drive standards...maybe just a little crazy...[;)]

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/scan0002-1.jpg" border="0" alt="First bow buck 7pt ...recurve"></a>

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:41 am

Crazy? No, not at all!  I shoot recurves, so I understand. When you said you shot with your fingers, and instinctively, I guessed that you were a stickbow shooter. Having learned on a recurve in the 60's, I always did shoot fingers even when I did shoot a compound for 23 years. If fact one of the reasons why I stopped shooting a compound, was that I needed a new one, and it was darn difficult to find one that was long enough that I could still shoot it with my fingers and not suffer string pinch and poor arrow flight due to the severe string angle at full draw.

I too like the feel of the string in my fingers, holding an arrow that I sharpened with the same hands that are holding the bow, arrow, and string. Very personal.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]Crazy? No, not at all!  I shoot recurves, so I understand. When you said you shot with your fingers, and instinctively, I guessed that you were a stickbow shooter. Having learned on a recurve in the 60's, I always did shoot fingers even when I did shoot a compound for 23 years. If fact one of the reasons why I stopped shooting a compound, was that I needed a new one, and it was darn difficult to find one that was long enough that I could still shoot it with my fingers and not suffer string pinch and poor arrow flight due to the severe string angle at full draw.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]I too like the feel of the string in my fingers, holding an arrow that I sharpened with the same hands that are holding the bow, arrow, and string. Very personal.[/size]

Oh Like you know anything[:D]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Well i got my anchoring point lowered, a new whisker biscuit and new string loop today and am shooting much better, arrows are coming out and flying a lot better, just need to do some small fine tuning, i still think im going to switch to a drop away rest when i have the money to tho lol. The guy recommended a "Rip Cord" $89.00, anybody use this brand?

It's nice to actually find a place that doesn't rip you off for not knowing much about archery, tries to help you understand, and cares about how your shooting performance before you leave the store, that was a nice change, and they have me as a customer for life now. And the guy was nice enough to show me the bucks he shot this last year after we got talking some, hunts only about 30 mins away from me.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am

I have trouble finding the anchor point when I have a facemask on.  Do others have this issue?  What do you do to solve it?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I have trouble finding the anchor point when I have a facemask on.  Do others have this issue?  What do you do to solve it?

I have the same problem, I wear a scentlok mask and have to pull it down anytime a deer that I intend to shoot approaches.  Haven't had any problems doing it that way.  I've done for so many years now it's almost as normally as clipping my release on my string.  I've tried practicing with my mask on and shoot just as good as I do with out it but it feels funny and uncomfortable.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I have the same problem, I wear a scentlok mask and have to pull it down anytime a deer that I intend to shoot approaches.

Me too, I have the Scent lok small baseball hat with face mask and in order to shoot the same I had to pull it down.
I liked the face mask and still wish I could wear it but I just did not like the fact that I had to remember to pull it down in the heat of the moment.
I switched to the under armour hood, its basically a face mask but tight to the face so I have no problem finding my anchor while wearing this.
I've worn it in some very cold temps and for it being so thin I was very surprised at how warm it kept me. I really like this hood and feel it was worth the money.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0040236922460a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=under+armour+hood&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=9&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=27&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting