How Many Sharpen Their Broadheads?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woods Walker

How Many Sharpen Their Broadheads?

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 pm

My theory on this is that's it's mainly traditional bowhunters, but I'd like to see who else does. I shoot Razorcaps, and they can be made VERY sharp in a surprisingly short amount of time.

I also find something extremely soothing about the process also, but I don't know why. It does make you focus, and for me at least, it relieves stress, not to mention the very personal connection it makes between you and the animal you kill with it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

stumpsitter66

RE: How Many Sharpen Their Broadheads?

Postby stumpsitter66 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:30 pm

You are right, Woods Walker. There is something special about becoming "one with the arrow." I also shoot replaceable blade broadheads (Muzzys and the like) and I actually can resharpen the blades and get one or two more kills out of them. There is nothing like a razor sharp broadhead. You know that you are doing the best you can when you get them really, really sharp.
Stump

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:52 pm

WW, I have always thought about it but never have.  When my blades get dull I just replace them.  I think there was an thread a while back where Dan wrote how he did it, correct?  Seems to be a pretty tough and tedious job as far as those small, thin blades, but to each their own!
QDM!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:56 am

i shoot magnus fixed blades and sharpen them all the time.I carry a small pen style sharpener in my daypack
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 am

I used to just replace the blades on my muzzys, then I switched to rage 2 blades and mine had butter knives for blades, so I learned to sharpen them
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 am

The broadhead has to have thicker blades for it to be resharpenable for sure. I shot Thunderhead 125's for many years when I shot a compound. They had to be THE sharpest blades out of the box of all the replaceable blade heads I ever tried. I'd still be shooting them, but when I went to a recurve, I wanted a head that had a lower blade angle, and a cut on contact tip for the increased penetration. The Razorcaps were my choice.

Originally they were billed as a "ready to hunt" replaceable broadhead that were one piece (or actually two.....a ferrule, and then a three blade single unit that fit over it.)

They were all that EXCEPT for the "ready to hunt" part. But they are VERY easy to get extremely sharp. I use a mill bastard file, and a fluted butcher's steel, and set the arrow shaft in a wooden jig I made. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!  The key, I believe, is in the three blade arrangement, which eliminates the potential for the idiot human doing the sharpening to mess up the blade cutting angles. All you need to do is lay the file or steel across two edges at a time, and with even pressured strokes, push the file forward on a slight angle. Even I can do that and not mess it up!

It's not a "have to do" thing for a bowhunters by any means. But I do believe it helps extend my hunting season, as it has me working with my hunting tools, and doing something that will have a very direct effect on the next animal I loose an arrow at.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:51 pm

I sharpen my practice arrows just to stay good at it but I have to say once I shoot a broadhead...kill or miss...thats it  ...it becomes a practice broadhead....It is a way to keep me honest...sorta speak.... Just needing to make a clean..quick kill does that but....If it's not just the right shot I don't take it...big deer or not...it's expensive buying replacement blades and tips so I really try not to....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:29 pm

That's exactly how I refined my technique, was by sharpening my practice broadheads. I always have about four of them when I shoot at my 3-D targets and the dirt bank. I eventually got to the point where I could take a practice Razorcap that's "butter knife" dull, and as long as it's just lacking an edge and not dinged or dented, I can get it arm hair shaving sharp in couple of minutes. This also helps you build your confidence that you CAN get them sharp as well as refine your technique.

It's like anything else.....the more you do, the better you are.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I tried sharpening my replaceable Wasp Boss replacement blades one time.  I don't think I did a very good job and didn't seem like a good use of my time.

I do admire the folks that have "honed" their skills and are able to sharpen their own blades.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:57 am

I build my own arrows and sharpen my own heads,,, but I'm one of those traditional types :)
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting