How Many Sharpen Their Broadheads?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
passin through

RE: How Many Sharpen Their Broadheads?

Postby passin through » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 am

I resharpen my rage 2 blades with one of those hand sharpeners Smiths makes.  I just picked up a bohning broadhead sharpener to use much the same way.  It works really sweet.  Deploy the blades, a few licks on both sides, and you are ready to go again after a kill or a miss.  I always try to test mine on shaving and touching a rubber band to it.  This sure as heck beats buying replacement blades all the time.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

hunt junkie

Postby hunt junkie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 am

I do. The sharper the better. Just like the rubber band test, having the blade sharp is key.

joaxe

Postby joaxe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 am

Deer Hunting peeps,

If you can, look into getting a Lansky, Gatco or KME sharpening system.  You can get broadhead blades (even replaceable ones) "scary sharp".  Even better if they are stropped on leather afterwards.  The only blades that I couldn't put into my Lansky were the Muzzy 225 3-blade series due to the tang (or bend) on the back of the blade.  Shouldn't have a problem with any of the "flat" blades (G5 Striker, ABC Sonics, Slick Trick, etc.).

Joe

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting