Bow for Kids

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
tmroper

Bow for Kids

Postby tmroper » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 am

I am wondering what would be a good starter bow for Kids.  Have 8 year old twins and a 4 year old.  They got a toy compund bow for christmas and love it, but I would like to get them started with a real bow.

First timeI have ever posted, but I enjoy reading all the posts.  Everyone seems very freindly and genuine, you don't get that everywhere seems like.

Am fairly new to the sport myself.  have been hunting all my life but mostly rifle.  Started with a bow 2 years ago, got tired of cleaning my muzzleloaders!  Now I am addicted. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Patriot

RE: Bow for Kids

Postby Patriot » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:26 am

tmroper,
You've come to the right place my friend.  Funny thing, I have 8 year old twins (boy/girl) as well.....and an almost 4 year old.

I think the best bow would be the Matthews Genesis.  It's used in the NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program). 

Welcome to the site!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

tmroper

Postby tmroper » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Patriot.

My Twins are a girl and boy also, the 4 year old, the one the Doctors told us we would never be able to have SURPRISE, is a boy.  Will check into the Matthews Genesis. Do your Twins hunt yet?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:33 am

I bought one of these for my older daughter when she was 4 she's now 8 and exploring other intrest, my younger daughter is now shooting it.  It shoots well for the price and size. 

http://www.mountain-archery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1696
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Welcome to the site!

There are alot of bows out there for kids nowadays. Seems the last couple of years the manufactures are really trying to get kids involved which is great to see.

I too recommend the Genesis, it's more pricey than some but I think it will last you longer and be a good one to pass on to your younger one when the time comes. A buddy from work got one for his 4 and 6 year old kids and it is very durable and takes alot of rough handling.
He went through a couple of the cheaper ones before buying the Genesis.
Whatever you go with, if possible I recommend a whisker biscuit type rest its very kid friendly.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Genesis Bow, will serve all your needs.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: tmroper

Thanks Patriot.

My Twins are a girl and boy also, the 4 year old, the one the Doctors told us we would never be able to have SURPRISE, is a boy.  Will check into the Matthews Genesis. Do your Twins hunt yet?

I'm pretty sure my son will hunt when he is of age.  I have taken both bow hunting with me, but my son seems to have the interest in actually hunting.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Hey tmroper.

I agree with the genesis, but another one to look at is the Parker Sidekick. It has a very large range of draw weight and length. This bow will grow with them.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 am

You're probably not talking about using it for hunting....correct?

If this is the case, then I concur with the recommendations for the Genesis.

One of my sons was just old enough to hunt deer with a bow and I searched around for a bow for him to use.  It had to fit his draw length as well as adjust to his strength.  I wound up buying a Browning Micro Adrenaline.  I've outfitted his bow with a Quicktune drop away rest and a Flatliner sight.  He uses some Easton carbon arrows with Muzzy 75 grain heads.  The bow has worked great for him and should last a long time.  We'll probably pass it down to his younger brother when the time comes.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

i got a browning micro midas for my nephew it looks like a hunting bow its adjustable in draw length and draw weight and it was just under 200$.aside from a cheap arrow rest that the company replaced it comes with sights,quiver, arrow rest and some arrows.check them out.I got mine at gander MT
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to Archery and Bowhunting