Which carbon suit to purchase?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
IKE 249

Which carbon suit to purchase?

Postby IKE 249 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:35 am

I am trying to decide on a new carbon hunting suit for next year.  What are your thoughts on Scent Blocker vs. Scent Lok?  I am looking for a mid weight very quiet suit that has a lot of functional pockets.  Any ideas?

Patriot

RE: Which carbon suit to purchase?

Postby Patriot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 am

I've heard really good things about the Dream Season suit.  I have not researched the cost.

I currently have the Scent Lok Timberfleece 360 jacket combined with Scent lok pants and scent lok undergarments and like it.  I got good deals on them, so that's why I went that route.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

csoutdoors

Postby csoutdoors » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 am

I typically go with what I can find on sale because I feel both companies provide a quality product. I guess it depends on which spokespeople you like better. HA

jzhorton

Postby jzhorton » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 am

I can't speak for the Scent Lok clothing but I do have a set of Scent Blocker Dream Season. They are extremely quiet and the pockets are very well thought out.  

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:32 am

Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages

Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages

I bought the Dream Season XT garments two winters ago, and used them for the first time this past year.  Loved them!  Did they help?  I think so.  I noticed a difference in how deer reacted when I was hunting....Almost like I wasn't there!  Are they worth the price (retail)?  Not sure.  I bought these on ebay for less than half off!  Not sure if I'd spend $200 per garment.
QDM!

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I think either of the 2 are good products I have scent-lok and a partner of mine has scent blocker.  We stopped to get a drink and cool down a little while going in carrying stands during early season.  while crouched down we had 4 does walk onto the logging road we were on and we were upwind.  We both sat there motionless, and they got within 15 feet of us before one sensed us sitting there and backed up a few steps.  Then they all got nervous and made their way back into the woods.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 am

I'm not yet convinced that carbon suits do much for scent control. I have used the military versions, which have a lot of carbon in them compared to the commercial hunting versions. I also have a few garments of the commercial versions that I bought on sale. I have been just as close to deer using any of them as I have using none of them. From what I've read, the reactivation of the carbon takes a much higher temperature to drive the scent molecules out of the carbon than any home dryer can reach. At best, my view right now is that an activated carbon suit is only slightly better than none at all, and you still need to pay attention to cleanliness, cover scents (not on you but around you), mouth odor, and especially the wind.)

I sometimes wonder if a good scent-containing or scent-controlling hat should be our main consideration. Here's why: if we lose most of the heat from our bodies from our heads, then wouldn't most of the scent we give off also come from our heads?

We need to keep our bodies clean and free of bacteria, wash and shampoo with unscented soaps, wear fresh underwear, keep our hunting clothing in a place where it can air out and not collect foreign odors, and spray down with a scent neutralizing product (especially around openings in our clothing such as neckline and sleeve cuffs.) Beyond that, we should do everything we can to minimize the exposure of the woods to our scent by doing things such as keeping our hands off trees and vegetation, and staying stay downwind of deer trails.

There are so many ways we deposit scent in the woods -- breath odor (it doesn't necessarily have to be a "bad breath"), skin cells (we shed them constantly, and you'll see the proof is you wear a black sweater), hair (just look at your bathtub drain), food (even jerky isn't offensive to deer, the smell alerts them to your presence) and many other things -- and none of these can be controlled by a carbon suit. The deer's nose beats us in many ways.

For me, the jury is still out on carbon suits, and probably will be for a long time. That doesn't mean I think they're worthless, but I doubt they're as effective as the advertisements say. I think there are too many ways we give off scent for us to "forget the wind, and just hunt."

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 am

Everyone has their own opinions on carbon clothing...I don't for a second it's a 'gimmick' but as far as how much it works, I can't go that far as to say.  I can almost assure you that it worked very well for me this year...The first year that I used it!
QDM!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 pm

i use the scent lok savanna series its for the early season so its lighter weight.when it gets colder i use it over my long johns but under my outer clothsI got mine thru sportsmans guide for alot less than the big guys
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Whatever is cheaper lol, scent lok or scent blocker, its the same general product with the same general purpose, i voted for scent blocker since thats what i bought and i thought it helped a bit this seaon, i will be looking for my "scent prevention gear this year and i will again buy whatever is the cheapest lol. 
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting