Which carbon suit to purchase?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JOEL

RE: Which carbon suit to purchase?

Postby JOEL » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Amen to that
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

wack

Postby wack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 pm

I'd look for the most versatile suite that has all the qualities YOU are looking for. Wind proof, water proof, zip out liners, for the widest range of temperatures and weather you're going to hunt in. I've got an older Scent Blocker suite and I hate the leg zippers. They're inside of the legs and only knee to ankle. To walk with the zippers open is a pain and I have to take my boots off to get pants on or off. Major pain. Pockets are important. One pair of hunting pants I have has no back pockets. Bummer. Scentblocker leg pockets are cool with the sit down zipper opening on the side and flap on top opening, great idea. Removable jacket hood? Hide away jacket hood or no hood? and the little things like will your sell phone really fit in that cell phone pocket? Can you shoot your bow without a bulky sleeve in the way? My Scentblocker jacket has a built in archery arm guard. Nice touch.
 I'd look for all the comfort qualities and if it happens to be on a carbon suit, all the better. Being scent free wont stop hypothermia from being wet or cold. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 pm

I use the realtree roadtrips suit, I like it alot. it wasnt too terribly expensive, has enough pockets for my use, and is very quiet. its pretty light weight, so i had to really layer up in later season. i bought it mid season last year, so i dont know how it is early season, as far as getting too hot is concerned. i like mine a lot. havent gotten to use it much yet, but so far so good.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 am

they are a scientifically proven gimmick. Save yer money.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:14 am

I'm gonna tick some people off, but if I can save one person from wasting their hard earned money....

Here's afew scientific studies for ya..

Here is a running report of the carbon suit scam maintained by T.R. Michels:

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

Here is another article on the carbon suit scam with the test conducted by JA Shivik, Ph.D with search and rescue dogs.

http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/publish/article_169.shtml

Here are Lessons from the U.S. Army CANE Exercises:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cpc-pubs/war_next_time/schneider2.pdf

Here is a good overall article on the subject by a biologist with a Science degree who has worked in the environmental protection field for more than ten years:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

Here is a follow up article on the subject:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits_deuce.htm

This is the Virginia Tech paper on partial desorbed activated carbon between temperatures ranging from 100–649°C which is above 212degrees F:

http://www.ce.vt.edu/program_areas/environmental/teach/wtprimer/carbon/sketcarb.html

You can also read the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide Manual No. DG1110-1-2, which shows that the only method to fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.

Here is a little article that touches on the manufacturing of your commercial carbon suit compared to the military unit:

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/NULLO_-_Making_Good_Scents_105/4_Old_1_New_Scent_Control_Strategies.shtml

The facts go on and on. Bottom line, on this planet, using materials from this planet, and using the laws of science from this planet; it is impossible for your commercial carbon suit to work for you while hunting as you claim. Your carbon suit is fully saturated at time of manufacture, there is no method known to man for your saturated carbon suit to be desorbed, and the only methods known for your saturated carbon suit to be partially desorbed is greater than any temperature reached by any household dryer manufactured. Even if you had access to technical heating equipment to safely bring the temps of your saturated carbon suit above 212degrees F, it is a losing battle as you will have a continual loss in the ability for your suit to be partially desorbed. The highest grade sealed military unit is worthless beyond 1 use, 45 days of being unsealed, or 6 washings. Your commercial suit is worthless the moment it is manufactured.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 am

trapperDave, have you ever used a carbon suit?  ...or are these words of wisdom coming from someone who's never experimented with it?  also, it's easy to find myths with just about anything if that's what you're exactly looking for.  i could go on the net here and post article after article of these suits working at their finest, but i won't since i feel with you it's a waste of time. 

don't take my tone as being harsh or anything i'm just backing up my stance, and i'm sure very shortly here we'll have other posters backing it up as well.  i've already stated this, but personally this last hunting season was the first year that i used scentblocker, and i loved it.  did i notice a difference of how the deer reacted to me verus past years when i didn't use it?  yes!
QDM!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:42 am

I fell for it and when i was getting busted more often then i had ever been busted with my normal clothing that was taken care of scent wise, i began to do some research.

Should have researched first but i will never use the stuff again. its a joke.

Im with you on this one trapperD!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 am

a simple test.... put on yer scentloc, go out then call yer dog and see how easily he finds you

I dont care if you use it, aint got nothin to do with ME. Just puttin out some info, do with it what you want.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm not to worried about being tracked by the deer, I'll take other steps to prevent that. You can post all the stuff you want cutting it down but I have spent many hours in the woods using a scentblocker suit and many hours in the woods not using it before that.

Before using it 2 years ago I encountered hundreds of deer some of them being downwind.

In the last 2 seasons according to my notes I have encountered 321 deer and some of them were downwind.

I think I'll use my own judgment from my own experiences on this rather than a bunch of people trying to prove it wrong using tests that have nothing to do with what the clothing is designed for.

I have used the carbon clothing and seen first hand how it does help me with my scent prevention and I will continue to use it and believe in it.
When used properly and maintained I feel very confident that these garments will help if and when the deer come downwind of me.
Will they make me scent free no but they'll help filter my scent and make the deer either think I am farther away than I actually am or break it up enough that the deer will go on unalarmed long enough for me to use my other tested equipment.

Their catch phrase should be- warning: objects in wind are closer than they appear![;)]

Thanks for posting all those links but I'll use my own experiences using these products while in the woods hunting deer the way these products where designed to be used.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

stickslingerd

Postby stickslingerd » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am

IKe 249.  I personally really like taking care of my outer garments and also the camo patterns.  So what I do is use Scent lok baselayers against my skin then I use the underlayer of the scentlok.  They have it in camo now.  then my outer clothes can change depending on temp.  Since I've used this system i've had tremendous success going undetected.  It's a very economical and effective way to go scent free.  I also keep all my carbon clothes  and any clothes that touch my skin in a tinks carbon bag. 
Hunt hard, hunt often... today may be the day.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting