Which carbon suit to purchase?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
stickslingerd

RE: Which carbon suit to purchase?

Postby stickslingerd » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 am

Where the hell do you hunt that you encounter 321 deer in 2 seasons??  What do you consider an encounter?  that's an unheard of number of deer.
Hunt hard, hunt often... today may be the day.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:29 am

321 isn't that outrageous of a number if u ask me, if you manage your land properly leading to the deer having everything they need on your land they have more reason to stay on or close to your land. and if you have the time to get out there and scout, hunt, observe that number is well in reach within 2 years imo.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am

I dont think Goose means he saw 321 individual deer but had 321 encounters with deer and I dont find that hard to believe for the reasons Demoderby4 posted
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 am

You guys are right and thanks, no I did not see that many Different deer but while hunting the last 2 years that is how many deer I saw throughout the 2 years. I'm sure many of them were the same deer just saw them on different sits.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm

I have the Browning Scent Suppressent Camo outfit . My wife didn't know what to get me for Christmas a few years ago so she told my oldest son she would give him the money and to pick out some hunting gear . gander Mt had just opened up . They had the Browning stuff on sale at 50 percent off and then another 30 percent off that . I got the pullover jacket , trousers , gloves and headgear as well as a pair of knee high rubber boots . It was a great Christmas ! The hard part was acting surprised because ................................I had stopped at Gander Mt and saw my son's truck there . I went in and he had an armload of clothes . He said " this is great , here , try these on to make sure they fit . Mom had me buy them ." We couldn't have planned it any better !
Semper Fi !

REF

Postby REF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Iam not sure who posted about your breath thing ,but I think that is what gives away most hunters .    no spicy food or alcohol  will help ..sorry to be a party pooper [:D]  
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

wack

Postby wack » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:02 am

I've read a bunch of pro's and cons about carbon suits plus I've tried them for the last few years and I stick by what I said in my earlier post. Seems that everyone wants the carbon but nobody is talking about comfort.
 My stance is this, if it works it works if it doesn't, I'm still warm, dry and comfortable. If carbon isn't working, fine, I wash my suit and treat it like hunting cloths anyways and if it's not working, it also isn't working against me.
 Too many people put the carbon before comfort when picking out a suit. Carbon and good non carbon suits cost about the same if you look for deals. Since there is some doubts about if carbon really works, put more value in comfort when picking out your suit.
 Now there is more than 1 reason for hunters to get busted. You can get busted by odor, sight and sound. Most hunters work on odor with scent control products, most hunting suits are quiet but not all camo is invisible. The first couple of weeks I used my carbon suit I was getting busted a lot and couldn't figure out why. I noticed that my camo was easier to see in the dark than my old camo, it kind of glowed in the dark, so I went to the store and got a UV Killer spray and laundry detergent, treated my suit. I could see the difference myself and I noticed that I wasn't getting busted at first glance anymore. I knew from past experience that UV Killer works on blaze orange but never really gave it a thought when it came to camo.
 I also noticed the same thing with a new face mask. I had a dozen deer around my stand one day, I pulled out my face mask, put it on, stuck my head out of the blind and it was like someone lit up a danger sign. They didn't see me without the mask but they certainly saw the mask. I took the mask off, stood back up and the deer all came back. They were watching my stand very closely. I ducked down behind the blind again and slowly stuck the mask out, this time below my stand and again, all the deer ran away. I'm not one to be easily convinced. I know that my examples aren't exactly scientific proof of what I'm saying or claiming but I've seen it time after time since UV Killer came out in the early 90's. I was also brought up with my parents owning a laundrymatt and appliance store. My mother was a laundry expert who testified in court about laundry additives such as phosphates and UV brighteners. At a pretty young age, I knew more about doing laundry than most of your mothers. lol In about 6th grade I made a painting of a night scene and I used laundry detergent and a black light to make the stars in the sky glow.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

stickslingerd

Postby stickslingerd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 am

Goose,
i owe you an appology.  i just looked back at my 2005 hunting season.  The first time I ever kept a hunting log.  Seems I saw some 120 deer that season.  So certainly i can see in two years seeing 300 +.   It's funny how you don't think you see that many until you keep track. I havn't kept a recond since that season but i'm definitely going to start again.  That was so much fun to read.
Hunt hard, hunt often... today may be the day.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 am

No prob [;)]

I'm a note taking fanatic, last year i had 3 different ones going!

Love reading them and after a couple of years you can start to see things form.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 pm

I can't afford carbon but my bro bought a scentblocker suit several years ago and it's VERY loud and is a burr magnet. We were at a local BPS in January and he bought a lighter Full Season suit that was on sale. I really like it. It's kind of fleecy-soft, very quite. Might buy one before 09 season if I can save the bucks. Oh yeah, the whole suit cost him like $175 (on sale).

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting