New Rest info needed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
mb915

New Rest info needed

Postby mb915 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am

I am looking into replacing my WiskerBiscuit that i currently have on my bow, and want to get a fall away rest.  Any info regarding which ones people like and why would be greatly appreciated in helping me figure out which one i should go with for my bow.

passin through

RE: New Rest info needed

Postby passin through » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 am

The bow I killed my first deer with I borrowed from a friend who had a trophy ridge drop zone on it.  That is a great rest but the only draw back is lack of containment.  My current bow has a Rip Cord arrow rest on it and I love it!  Never had a moments trouble with it in three years with me shooting almost daily.  These are the only two I have ever shot & both are good.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 am

I have the trophy taker fall away rest and have no problems with it.  I believe mine cost $60.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am

I shoot a QAD drop away, and I couldnt be happier with it!  It really gives you the best of both worlds in that, it is a full containment rest (as well as a drop away).  With the launcher in place (up) it will hold the arrow in place regardless of the bows position.  Another plus is that, the launcher stays in the up position until you shoot.  In other words, you can let down slow and, the launcher will stay up but, when you release (to shoot) it drops down!  I have the "ultra-pro" model which has a "lockdown" feature, which means, it "will not" bounce back when fired, causing potnetial fletching contact. There are a couple different models ranging in price from about $50 to $130.  You can check them out at www.qadinc.com.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:47 am

I shoot the Trophy Taker Fully Enclosed rest. I love it, before this one I shot a trophy taker pronghorn. I've never had a problem with either one. Trophy taker makes a quality rest that is very dependable. I would recommend either the fully enclosed one or the shakey hunter, they both have wider launches on them for better containment.

Speaking for myself I don't like the ones that lock up or back simply because its more that can go wrong in the time of need. With the weather I hunt in I don't want something sticking or freezing up. With the TT rests its just a string and a spring. Pretty simple and durable. The TT rests are also easy to adjust and tune and have solid lock ups.
Just my 2 cents!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 pm

I have a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on a Ben Pearson TX-4 and a DMI drop away on a Parker phoenix EZ-Draw . I had a QAD ultra Rest and no matter what we did with it , we couldn't get 100 percent arrow clearance . Seemed it was a common problem according to the folks on the AT site . Sold it in classifieds .........
Semper Fi !

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 pm

muzzy zero effect.  it is awesome! 

jdsbuckfever

Postby jdsbuckfever » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 pm

i have the rip cord on my hoyt and love it.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 am

I tried a fall-away for the first time last season (QAD Hunter) and I'll never go back. I'm shooting farther and with greater accuracy than ever.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 am

good question. i just went through going from a standard two prong to a drop away over the summer. i put a lot of research into it and i found that any of the QAD drop aways are excelent. i go to many shoots and talking to people, they were most satisfied with the QAD. Ill never go back, and like paulie said, the full containment is great. dont have to worry about losing your arrow, its quiet and its very accurate. the only thing i would recomend if you go with one is, maybe have someone with experience put it on, especially if you have a high speed bow. I had a little trouble at first tuning mine, but now its set perfect. Plus if you have someone put it on that has a press, you can serve it right into your string making it extremely reliable.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting