To Spin or Not to Spin

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
8uck5nort

To Spin or Not to Spin

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:26 am

I am no archery master so here goes my question.

I currently have a whisker biscuit. It is getting pretty worn and I am going to replace it. I was looking at the Octane Hostage. Has anyone tried using the blazer stylte quick spin with a Hostage?

Is there any big advantages to spinning the arrow?

Any thought and discussion is appreciated.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JPH

RE: To Spin or Not to Spin

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 am

I cannot say how the WB will effect the helical vanes, but I assume that it is not a real good combination because the vanes cannot really twist while they are passing through.

As for the helical vane in general, I think it has a lot to do with what is on the other end of the arrow. If you shoot a fixed blade, you may want a twist in your veins in order to stabilize arrow flight. If you shoot a mechanical or other low-profile broadhead the twist is less important and may slow your arrow.

I am no archery techie, os take the above with a grain of salt. [;)]

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 am

I have been told that your arrow does not spin while going through the rest because there is so little time between it leaving the string and passing through the rest.  Also the more spin the better I would think, because the more spin the faster the arrow will stabilize which means greater accuracy. 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:20 pm

If i were using 2" blazers(which i am) i would just go with an offset vs a helical.

When you only have 2" of vane it is very hard to put a helical on the vane as there isnt enough vane there.

Just go with an offset if you want to spin your arrow.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Reflexhunter is right about the arrow not spinning until it is past the bow. I've heard of helicaled vanes wearing faster because of the WB.

I shoot a drop away rest with blazers and a right helical.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 am

I shoot an Octane Hostage rest on my Diamond Rock. I use Terminator Lite shafts with 2 inch Blazer vanes and I have no problems at all. The Hostage is like a Whisker Biscuit with 3 cutouts for the vanes to clear. Once I turned my nocks to align the vanes with the openings, I have no drag or wear on the vanes

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:15 am

In reading the responses I have another question.

If I have a right handed bow, then I would need/want the arrows to spin clockwise or counter-clockwise? Does it matter?

Again thanks for the feedback.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:51 am

I don't think it matters, some traditional shooters say that right handers shoot right helical and left handers shoot left.  With todays equipment I'd say it's more of a preference thing as long as your not having any clearance issue with your arrow rest.  I have herd a few shooters claim that an arrow spinning counter clockwise will loosen your broadheads or field points open impact, I've always shot right and my field points still come loose occasionally.  
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:17 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

In reading the responses I have another question.

If I have a right handed bow, then I would need/want the arrows to spin clockwise or counter-clockwise? Does it matter?

Again thanks for the feedback.

More spin = Better flight

Left or Right Helical is not a factor for release shooters.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting