Sights for newbie

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MDV WI hunter

Sights for newbie

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:09 am

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first bow (PSE Stinger Field Ready Package) and I have what may be a stupid question.  What is a peep sight?  I see it comes with a 3 or 4 pin sight and peep sight, are these redundant or is the peep to line up with the pins.  Any insight (or mockery) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike

Patriot

RE: Sights for newbie

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:39 am

MDV WI hunter,
First of all, welcome to the sight! ....and great question.  Thanks for asking.

A peep sight is embeded in the actual string of your bow (it looks like a small Cheerio).  You look through it once your bow is drawn back.  Think of it like the eyepiece of a scope.  The other end of the "scope" would be the actual sights of the bow.  You line them up once the bow is pulled back.

Feel free to ask any questions here.  You've come to the right place!!

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 am

OK, that makes sense. 

Thanks for the reply - My bow should be in shortly - Now if we can find a way to make the season come sooner I'll be all set!!

This forum/site is fantastic, I'm very impressed with the depth of knowledge and the willingness of people to share that knowledge.  Kudos to whomever funded this site!!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 am

Yes welcome !!!!
Don't be afraid to check out the WI thread located under the states forums!

Patriot is right on with the peep question and I'll just add that some peeps have a tube that connects from the peep to the cables and when you draw back it aligns the peep in the right orientation so you can see through it.
There are also some peeps that do not have the tube and rely on the string to bring it to the right orientation every time, I'm guessing that yours will come with a tube.
It'll' probably need to be adjusted when you get the bow.
The best way to do that is by drawing back  with your eyes closed and finding your anchor(location of where your hand will be along your face every time) and then open your eyes and have someone else adjust the peep up and down until you can see through it.
I would also recommend tying it in or having a pro shop tie it in this spot so it does not move up and down on you.

When I shoot, I have my hand on my jawbone in the same spot every time, the tip of my nose just touches the string, I have a kisser button that goes in the corner of my mouth ,and i look through the peep sight.
These are all types of anchors to make sure I am lined up the same way every time.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 am

MDV...I was just wondering....did you test out the bows before ordering? ...I ask because you said you were buying your first bow...and wonder if you've shot much before hand.....explanation:
 I shoot a gun lft handed...when I Started bow hunting I used a rt. handed recurve ...no sights and off shelf...Rt handed because it just felt right and my rt shoulder seems to be stronger....didn't take into consideration that I'm lft eye dominant which could be a problem with someone that uses sights.....I still shoot instinctive so it's not a problem...good luck with the new bow and many years of great hunting...nothing like bow hunting...[;)]

Woody

Postby Woody » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:50 am

I would recommend if setting up or tuning a new bow (or a bow with a new string) to shoot it to break the string and cables in (they will stretch). Also remember, if possible, when setting up your new bow to have an arrow in and aimed in a safe direction to avoid a dry fire. You never want to draw and fire a bow without an arrow. Good luck!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 am

My bow has the rubber hose that connects the peep to the limb.  I like that.  My wifes new bow does not have the hose connection. 

You will want to make sure the peep is big enough as well.  I recently got a new one that is bigger in diameter.  It makes it much easier to pick up your sights in low light situations.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 pm

First off, welcome to your new addiction. When you get your bow, you should take it to a pro shop to make sure the draw length is set properly.
I see the Stinger has an adjustable draw length from 27-30". The shop can also make sure you get arrows that are right for your draw weight.

Best of luck with it, & keep asking questions.
Dave M.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 am

and remember, practice, practice, practice!   Welcome to site!
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:29 am

All,

Thanks for the advice, to generally answer some questions.  I have not shot any bows yet, my local shop recommended a few entry level bows and this one seemed to be the best for my money and they support it. (parts and warranty)  To put in a shameless plug, Central Archery and Range in IA has been great with steering me and not pushing $ as they carry Mathews and the higher end stuff.   I can also swing down there on my lunch break as they have an indoor shooting range!! (I live in WI and work in IA)

So far I'm roughly 28.5" for draw length, rt eye dominant and should be able to handle 60lbs without to much of a problem. 

My wife is already preparing for "the next addicition" - Bowtechian thanks for the quote..

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting