Sights for newbie

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!

RE: Sights for newbie

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:40 am

....the adventure begins!  Good luck to you.
Keep all of us on the forum updated on your journey!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Postby drdaven » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:43 am

MDV WI Hunter,

Have you considered a 'Hind Sight'?  I used to have a peep sight but had a rough time with last light shooting.  I know they have improved a lot since I used one but I just couldn't get passed it.
So, I bought a 'Hind Sight'.  I modified mine by cutting off the top two posts.  Now I just line up the top of the lower two hind sight pins with my front sight pin.  Works like iron sights on a gun.  Also, it really takes any hand torque out of the equation and I have never had a problem with low light shooting.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural country bucks taste the best.

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 pm

No the season cant come soon enough MDV ;) but its good your getting your bow set up now and have a good (roughly) 9 months to play with it and get your perfect setup figured out! Good luck to you with shooting and getting every figured out, i might not be able to help much on arc just yet since im fairly new to it as well, but these guys will be more than willing and if i can attribute anything to help you i will! Again good luck and welcome!! Well one thing i can say is don't wait to practice lol! Practice as much as you can, and in different situations to prepare yourself for the fall! I wish i would of taken more time to do that this past year, lesson learned!

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 am

Well,  I did some shooting with her on Friday.  Talk about a different feel than shooting a rifle.  I didn't realize how much stabilization it will take to hold at full draw and aim.  I look forward to the pratice though!!
I'll post another thread at a later date when i have more time.  I'm sure there will be plenty more questions to come.  As for now, I'm joining the archery league so I can get in as much practice as possible.  Sept. 12th will be here before I know it!!
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:42 am

Glad to hear you like it! Good luck and 1 more thing....Try not to grip the bow, it should just balance in your hand at full draw. I hold onto mine with just my thumb and index finger.
Good luck!

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Archery and Bowhunting