Shutting down a trail

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Blazed

Shutting down a trail

Postby Blazed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:19 am

I hunt land that is used as travel between bedding and feeding. a narrow strip 3 acres wide and 5 acres long. I don't have access to surrounding land unless I am trailing a shot deer.The deer come through on parallel trails, cutting straight through the property. There are 4 main trails that lead through the land.  I have a groundblind  at one spot  set up between the two far trails .  I set up a ladderstand on the closest trail to my entry  to the land. The deer are now using the trail that I don't have a stand on. Go Figure! I know they will cross through  this property , but want to shut down this other trail. Anything anyone has tried? I am out of stands so cannot cover the other trail.

PrairieShadow

RE: Shutting down a trail

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am

Personally i would buy another stand.
As far as shutting a trail down enough to make them move a great distance and use another trail would be hard to do. If you only need to get them to detour a few yards then a few tree branches in the trail will suffice. I have used branches to get them to funnel to my stand at certain locations but this is only changing their course by 10 yards or so.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 am

Heres what I would do:

Get out there early, I mean 1.5-2 hours early and put some kind of mannequin or homemeade "human body" even if its straw filled garbage bags to resemble one in your ladder stand.  Go sit in your ground blind and whack em and stack em!  I've tried this once and scored on some does that were looking up at the tree and detouring every time I was in my stand, but my trail camera showed they were using it when I wasn't there. 

Oh, don't forget to take a scent eliminating soap shower ,spray down vigorously beforehand, and mind the wind, so they don't sniff you out!  That is what I would do.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am

I put a t_shirt in the Ladder  2 times last week, and no new tracks were present after the hunts. Often there were new tracks noticed after a hunt, lots of sand so easy to tell.

I am going to try to cut a sappling block the other trail. I'll let you all know after a few hunts how it's worked.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:43 pm

If I wanted to shut down a trail and the deer were not accustomed to human scent being on this trail I would scent it heavily. That is to even go to the point of leaving the morning constitutional at the trails end and when I'm on my way out of the woods after a long days hunt, I'd take that relief bottle and dump it along that trail. This will work for a while until the deer get used to the scent being there.  I know this might be kind of gross but it's free and it should work.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Buy enough stands to cover your options.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:08 pm

I'd have to agree with you simply blocking the other trail with some limbs and branches,if you start leaving your scent around there the Deer may completely avoid the ground your hunting on?

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 pm

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I'd have to agree with you simply blocking the other trail with some limbs and branches,if you start leaving your scent around there the Deer may completely avoid the ground your hunting on?

I completely agree all that human scent may cause the deer to abandon the area entirely.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Have me fork over $2000 for to be able to put a stand on that trail for the season. I GUARANTEE you that nothing will use it!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:43 am

I'm not sure if I would disturb any of the bush.  
Instead of discouraging a deer to use a specific trail....with human scent or whatever....
I would try to encourage him in using the right one for you.  Deer scent, calls, food....whatever.

Its hard to hunt big bucks.....
Its harder to hunt big bucks that smells human.

but that's me.

few branches....fine....more than that.  I don't know...never tried it.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Return to Archery and Bowhunting