Newbie bow hunter

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
KRAKA

Newbie bow hunter

Postby KRAKA » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 am

Fellas,
  What is a good entry level bow? I don't want to buy a bow that I will have to replace in a few years though. I am brand new to bow hunting and I really have no idea what to buy. I want to keep my total spent under $500 for the bow and accessories, not including clothing. And I am pretty sure I want to buy a compound bow. Is this unrealistic?
  Where should I buy this bow? Online? Sportsman's Warehouse? Other? What accessories are must haves? What's this Scent Lock all about? Like I said earlier, I am a brand newbie...
  Should I ground hunt during archery? Or must I hunt from a tree stand? 
  Thanks for your help.   

8uck5nort

RE: Newbie bow hunter

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 am

I will only relay what I have direct experience with.

I upgraded my bow in spring of 08. Had about same budget as you. I ended up buying a new 07 PSE Brute package for 399.00 of the clearence rack. Added some arrows cut to my length.

I am completely pleased with this bow and was a huge step up from the Wally World bow I bought in 05/06. 

Best advice is try as many bows/bow packages (regardless of brand) in the price range you have set for yourself and pick the one that "feels" right to you. Take your time and ask lots and lots of questions about which accessories are best for newbie and your bow that you ultimately select.

Next tidbit, I don't care how much or how little you spend on a bow. Practice, practice, practice, is your best tool in using the bow. Next best thing is more practice, and more practice. Did I mention practice? 

I don't use Scent Lok, some of the other members do and can relate their experience, but in bow hunting scent control is very important. How important is a subject of much debate, but one thing is for certain, if a deer gets wind of you the hunt more often than not is over.

Ground or Tree. I do both. I practice, practice, practice, and practice from both. Take your pick you can have success either way. Whichever one you feel most comfortable doing that provides you with the best challenge and most success.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 am

First off welcome to the forums and also the ever addicting bowhunting!

Bows-There are many options. Alot of places offer rigs already accessorized. I would recommend going to different shops and test shooting as many as you can. There are many brands out there that have and produce quality bows. You also can look (this is the perfect time of year) for last years models for a great price.
Being new to archery I would recommend a longer axle to axle (total length of bow)(32 inches or longer) Single cam for simplicity.A longer brace height of 7 inches or more(distance from inside of grip to string). All these things in my opinion make for a more forgiving and easier to shoot bow.

Accessories- sight(fiber optic) with 1 or 2 pins.
A peep sight.
A kisser button on the string.
A quiver
A release
A string loop
Stabilizer
Arrows
Field points
Broadheads

Scentlok is a charcoal activated absorber of scent. It's supposed to absorb your scent and help you become more scent free. Some people swear by it and some people swear at it. I don't think you need it to get started.

Ground hunting is an option but most bowhunting is done from a tree stand. Maybe you want to start out on the ground then try a short ladder stand. Most hunters end up at about 15 ft up a tree or close to it one way or another.
Cover is the most important thing with both ground and stand hunting.

Try to set up 15-20 yds downwind of where you expect the deer to appear.

I would try to sight your bow in for 20 yards and practice alot at that range. You should then be good out to 20 yards for a shot at a deer.

Practice, practice, and practice. The deer your gonna shoot deserve an ethical kill and you should strive for that.

When you shoot get a good form and stick to it. You want to draw back,aim, and release the same way every time.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:12 pm

goose pretty much nailed it. welcome to fold, stick around this a great group with a well of knowledge and insight.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting