Your Arrows.. $50.00 or $100.00

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
shadow

RE: Your Arrows.. $50.00 or $100.00

Postby shadow » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Highlander, True, you get what you pay for. I would like new arrows, so for me I probably won't know which arrow I'll end up with until I get to the store.
You say that by going with a smaller vane, 2" on a higher end arrow, one with a better straightness factor than I am presently shooting, I should be able to shoot and group (if I do my part) at a longer distance?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:38 pm

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

I shoot Gold Tips now. But i still have 2 remaining Carbon Express Maxima Hunter's left, and although i cannot stand the weakness of the carbon express arrows they shoot A LOT better for me than the gold tips. I am almost considering buying the Carbon Express again because of that factor, and thats not an easy thing for me to say with how frustrated i got with them breaking on me this last fall, i'll just have to be more careful with them if i buy em again i guess :/ The Gold tips have the 4" vanes and are a lil heavier, the carbon express are lighter and have the 2" vanes. Anyways what i am trying to say is the gold tips were $44 for 6 and the carbon express were close to $100 some for 6 and if the the carbon express shoot that much better for me they are worth it in my mind.

You are probably shooting too heavy a spine, which size are your GT in relation to your draw weight? 3555, 5575? are they cut to a short length like 26 or 27 inches?

Highlander, i was shooting roughly 54 lbs when i weighed in on Monday, and they are the 5575 weight GT, and they are cut to 26 inches. Hope this helps!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:13 pm

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

I shoot Gold Tips now. But i still have 2 remaining Carbon Express Maxima Hunter's left, and although i cannot stand the weakness of the carbon express arrows they shoot A LOT better for me than the gold tips. I am almost considering buying the Carbon Express again because of that factor, and thats not an easy thing for me to say with how frustrated i got with them breaking on me this last fall, i'll just have to be more careful with them if i buy em again i guess :/ The Gold tips have the 4" vanes and are a lil heavier, the carbon express are lighter and have the 2" vanes. Anyways what i am trying to say is the gold tips were $44 for 6 and the carbon express were close to $100 some for 6 and if the the carbon express shoot that much better for me they are worth it in my mind.

You are probably shooting too heavy a spine, which size are your GT in relation to your draw weight? 3555, 5575? are they cut to a short length like 26 or 27 inches?

Highlander, i was shooting roughly 54 lbs when i weighed in on Monday, and they are the 5575 weight GT, and they are cut to 26 inches. Hope this helps!

Shorter arrow=stiffer spine, go with 3555 @ your next purchase or raise your tip weight, this will help.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:16 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Highlander, True, you get what you pay for. I would like new arrows, so for me I probably won't know which arrow I'll end up with until I get to the store.
You say that by going with a smaller vane, 2" on a higher end arrow, one with a better straightness factor than I am presently shooting, I should be able to shoot and group (if I do my part) at a longer distance?

Yes, if you do your part.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

ok thanks! Im shooting 125 grain for my tip weight so i cant really get any heavier or is that not what u mean? Sorry i'm still kind of new to archery lingo :/ lol.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 pm

ok thanks! Im shooting 125 grain for my tip weight so i cant really get any heavier or is that not what u mean? Sorry i'm still kind of new to archery lingo :/ lol.

That is what I meant.

Here is the link to the GoldTip sizing chart

Your length and weight is squarely in the 3555 category. The only other option would be to have longer arrows to get into the 5575 category.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:47 pm

However if I were to upgrade to a different shaft with lets say the 2" blazer vanes and a better straightness factor, or a quick spin vane etc.. will I be able to shoot tighter groups? I mean I see carbon arrows ranging in price from 50.00 to 200.00 per dozen what will I get by paying more?

[font=tahoma]I shoot Easton ST Epic camo arrows that have a straightness of .003".  I also use 2" Quick Spin vanes.  They cost around $100 per dozen ($80 for black)  I am very happy with them.  I can't believe how tight I can group them.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Here is a really [color=#0000ff]great Arrow Buyer Help Guide -[/color] [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide1.htm[/font]

[font=tahoma][size=100]I copied this off of that web site article - [/font]"From a pure physics standpoint, arrow straightness certainly does matter.  When fired from a sophisticated shooting machine, the difference becomes more evident, as the straighter arrows fly and group measurably better, particularly at longer distances and when shooting broadheads.  So theoretically, shooting good straight arrows can increase your "effective shooting" distance and provide better hits on the marginal shots.  But be advised, spending $100+ on a set of ultra-straight .001" arrows will not likely transform you into Randy Ulmer.  If your accuracy isn't as spectacular as you would like, it's most likely the result of tuning/clearance or shooting-form issues, rather than arrow straightness.  Nonetheless, arrow straightness is one variable you can tip in your favor for a few extra bucks.  If that extra advantage yields a few more points on the 3D range, or helps you to land the shot of a lifetime - then it's money well spent.  It certainly doesn't hurt to get the straightest arrow you can afford.  So.....good, better, or best?  The choice is up to you."[/size]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:52 pm

I could of swore they landed in the 5575 category lol! I looked like 3 times to make sure i was right before i bought em :/ oh well, live and learn i guess ;) thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Since you are considering buying new ones, just buy the 3555's. Keep the others in case you increase weight or change bows at some time.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Yeah when i do buy new ones those will be the ones i will buy. Hopefully they will group a bit more like the carbon express arrows.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting