Treatment of wet bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Patriot

Treatment of wet bow

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 am

I'm sure we've all hunted in the rain (like I did last weekend). 

Question....what does everyone do to treat their wet bow / arrows after they get wet.  I notice a few rust spots on my "favorite gun" (a.k.a my PSE Beast bow).

Thanks, Paul
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

OHhunter

RE: Treatment of wet bow

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 pm

If I know I'm going to be hunting in the rain, I wax all the strings and cables up real good, I also put a very light coat of oil on all bear metal.  When I'm home from hunting in the rain, I shoot about 20 shoots into a target ( in the garage if it's still raining) to get most of the moisture out of the string and cables.  Then I repeat the steps listed above.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm

I just asked a guy about this the other day.  He uses Vaseline.  Says its scent free.  Well, what he said.  Anyone else tried this?  Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:51 pm

wax,better not get any vasaline on any rubber items on the bow,it eats rubber up
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Good ideas.  Any thoughts about small rust spots (on the small screws on the sights...and other allen screws)?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:10 pm

gun oil
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 am

Now if you use gun oil on the cam, will the oil, if it gets on the synthetic bushing that the bearing goes through ruin the material. Has anyone noticed that?
fireflyparamedic

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:17 am

you shouldn't use anything with petrolium dissolates in it (gun oil) on your bow or near your strings or harness's. use a lubricant made esspecially for bows. some bows such as my reflex have sealed bearings and require no lubricant, check your owners manual. after a hunt in the rain i always blew mine dry with my air compressor if you dont have one try those cans of compressed air they sell for computers.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 am

I used oil on my trophy ridge sight, the oil got into the fiber optics somehow, and the pins won't glow in low light conditions anymore. Now I'm going to have to buy a dusk/dawn light for the sight, then buy new fiber optics for the sight after the season. [&o] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 am

howhill1 thanks for the advice. Don't want to use gun oil and have it ruin an expensive bow. Now you stated to use a lubricant made for bows, what is the name of it so I can look for it. Also another good idea from eatdeer about using the air compressor. Never thought of it.
firefly

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting