HHA Bow Sights vs. others

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Dan7manusa

HHA Bow Sights vs. others

Postby Dan7manusa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:01 am

I am thinking of buying a new sight and have looked at the HHA DSXL 5519.  I currently have a 3 pin horizontal Vital Gear sight that is nice, but I think that I want to switch to the single pin.  Questions:  Anyone using the dsxl 5519 - Does the dial move easy when needed?  Does it move too easily?  What pin size is better or is it even noticable (.019 vs. .029)?  Any other quality sights that should be looked at?  Any other opinions of the HHA would be appreciated.  If I am thinking of spending this kind of money - I want a sight that will last me many, many years.  Thanks!

Bowtechian

RE: HHA Bow Sights vs. others

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Not knowing how far you plan on shooting (practicing or hunting ) its hard to give proper advice. If only shooting out to 40 yds., the three pin sight is probably the best option. You probably won't have time to move your pin while hunting, plus it's extra movement you don't need when trying to beat the vision of a deer. The pin size also depends on shooting distance. Past 40 yds., the .029 pins start to cover too much of your target/bullseye, so .019 pins would be my choice.
Dave M.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 pm

I personally don't like single pins but alot of people do and get whatever works for you. I just don't want to have move something when I got a million other things going on.
HHA makes good sights and they are dependable.
If you plan on shooting past 30 yards I would recommend the.019
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Dan7manusa

Postby Dan7manusa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:39 am

I typically practice at 30 yards - I really only use my bow for hunting although i wouldn't mind finding a league of some sort for practice purposes.  With that being said, I very rarely take a shot at 40 yards+.  My reason for wanting to switch is that it seems the 3 pin horizontal blocks more of the deer at say 25 yards than a single vertical pin would?  I was worried about the light available on a .019 vs. .029 - I would assume the .029 gathers more lights since it is a larger guage fiber optic.  I would say that 90% of my shot opportunities are 15-25 yards.  I would think that at those distances I could leave my single pin set at 20 and then just go high or low on the target unless i had time to actually dial in the distance - or the other thought would be that if I do get an opportunity at a longer shot (that I am comfortable and confident at) I could dial in the sight?  Thanks for all your help. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:05 am

Have you looked at the vertical pins like trophy ridge? http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/
Also another good sight but pricey is the G5- http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_optixxr
The g5 thats shown has 4 pins but the 09 model has 2 fixed and 1 floater for a total of 3
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Even if you don't "plan" on shooting past 40 yards I would still go with the .019 pins if you buy the HHA. There is plenty of light gathered by that size pin. Outdoor leagues & 3D shoots normally have shots beyond 40 yards, so you would probably lengthen your practice distance.
Dave M.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting