hey bow hunters

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
thebaran12

RE: hey bow hunters

Postby thebaran12 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

I am from PA and I am 16 also, this year i shot a doe in the first week of bow season then I justed hunted bucks the rest of the season. I had about 3 close encouters with bucks but they were just never close enough.

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Ya know baran, just seeing a buck from the stand makes it worth being out there(for me anyway). Some of my best hunts, I went home with "unpunched tags". As I grow older, I am of the mind that, tagging a deer is simlpy "the icing on the cake" (sorry, Im rambling again). Anyway, welcome aboard, you've come to a great site!!

Woody

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Baran -- First of all congrats on the doe. Remember its not always about what comes home in the back of the pick up truck but the time and experience you've gained out in the woods. It is just as enjoyable for me to be out there, to see deer and harvest them is just a bonus.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:30 am

Woody: What you say is quite true, but to reach that point you must go through the years when that IS the most important thing for you, especially if you start out as a young man. We've all done that.

When I was younger, I had heard this from many "old timers", but not in a preachy way.

Back in the old days, in Illinois you were allowed ONE deer a year, with each weapon (gun and bow). Our gun season has always been a split season, with the first 3 days just before Thanksgiving, and the second the weekend after. There was an oldtimer that I knew who'd go out first half, and rarely, if ever, did he tag a deer then. I always tagged out first half, and that Monday when we all met at the local gas station for our "hot stove league" coffee klatch, I always show off my deer button that they gave you at the check station, and I'd ask old George if he'd killed one.

'Naaa.....I didn't. I saw 6 though.'

"You saw 6? And you didn't shoot one? Were they not in range?' I'd ask him.

'They were ALL in range', he'd reply.

Then I'd ask him with a truly puzzeled look on my face, 'Why the hell not?'

He'd then look at me, shake his head like he was dealing with someone who just didn't quite grasp the obvious, and say......

'Because then I couldn't go BACK TO HUNT in the second half of the season!'

That was 25 years ago, Old George is long gone, but sometimes when I'm in the woods I love so much, I look Heavenward and tell him.....'NOW I get it George, now I get it!'

Hard hard, shoot a lot of deer, learn as much as you can from each hunt, and the rest will come to you. That's what makes it so wonderful to do!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

cva54

Postby cva54 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:20 am

good one treestand sniper that is it but mine is a widow from sep to jan man is she pissed at me right now I got 2 broken down car in the garage bank acount is dry the house is dirty havent ben layed since my Bday in aug but me and my 15 year old son got are bows set up realy nice and 2 deer in the freez both mine  and still got 3 more day to hunt thank god my TRUCK still runs     bowhunter01 WELCOME pick your woman wisley and teach you kids well when that time comes remeber shoot clean and swift pratice pratice pratice

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of bowhunting and to the ranks of this site.  Listen to the elders, alot of time can be saved if you do.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting