How Many Of You.....

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woods Walker

How Many Of You.....

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:08 am

....shoot at something other than foam or flesh?

The archer/bowhunter thread got me thinking on this, and I started thinking about why some bowhunters limit themselves with their shooting opportunities.

I was the same way until a half dozen years ago. I shot to:

1. Tune my bow, and/or bow-arrow-broadhead combination.

2. Practice my form.

3. Practice shooting from an elevated stand or sitting, kneeling, etc.

All this shooting was done on a target range, and either at foam or cardboard.

I've always carried a Judo point in my quiver while hunting for squirrels or to take a "confidence" shot when I first got into my stand, which I'd retrieve when I was done hunting. (This was a bit of advice I'd read years ago in a Fred Bear book, where he said, "Never let the first arrow you shoot of the day be at an animal."

The about 6 years ago I started doing more "roving" type shooting, where you take some Judo tipped arrows during the off season and you wander around shooting at whatever you feel like. Some also call this "stump shooting", although the only stumps that I will shoot at are those that I'm pretty sure are rotten. Weed heads, grass clumps, leaves and hay bales are most most frequent targets. This is not only a ton of fun, but it also tunes your internal "range finder", with the unlimited combinations of terrain, shadows, and vegetative cover. The Judo point makes it almost impossible to lose an arrow.

What makes it even more fun, is to go with a buddy, and you each take turns picking the target and the range that you will shoot.

This now comprises the majority of my outdoor shooting. I'm fortunate that I live on 5 acres and I have about 1/3 of it that as natural fields. I have empty plastic jugs of various sizes hung from branches and on the ground at various locations, so I can vary the angle and distance that I shoot them from.

But I also go to my bowhunting ground at least twice a month after the season ends to "scout" and do this exact same kind of shooting. I will also go to some of the natural stand sites I have and shoot a few arrows from those spots too, which is about as great a confidence builder as one can imagine.

Anyone else do this?  I have a feeling that if more did, that they might start to lean more toward the "archer" side of the equation!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

RE: How Many Of You.....

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:18 am

I don't but i'd like to and know I should. If I were to ever pass a package of judo points in the store, I'd pick them up, but I never have and I am too lazy to order any.

I think stump shooting would add a lot to my nature walks and to my skill as a hunter.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:34 am

Here's a warning, JPH: If you DO start taking what I have heard called "bowhikes", you will become addicted to it!

In one way it's BETTER than actually hunting, because you get to SHOOT YOUR BOW, and there's not the pressure of being quiet, stealthy or...ahem...."odor free".....

And you don't even have to train your colon! [:D]

(sorry....I couldn't pass that one up......)

And that's also the where and when I practice shooting in my ghillie suit and working on my routine for the next Star Wars film!

Seriously....try it. I'd be very surprised if you didn't love it.

One word of advice: If you buy/order Judo points, make sure you get the ZWICKEYs!!!  They are the original and the best made. I bought another brand at Gander Mt., and they fell aprt after a dozen shots or so. The Zwickeys last a LONG time, unless you hit a rock with them. They should run you about $3.00 a piece, in a package of two.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=57&s=71&p=59&i=4204X
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:39 am

I shoot a fairly modern rig with 100 gr. tips on carbon arrows. Will I ever see my arrow again? Will the judo point hold up to that? Can I still clense my bowels before going out? Force of habit.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:51 am

Hmmmm....I'm pretty sure that you can use the carbons, although I do not have any personal first hand experience with that. You might want to talk to customer service where you order them from, or send an e-mail to Zwickey themselves.

And what goes on between you and your bowels is your business! As the kids say.......TMI!  TMI! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 am

Great idea Woods and i know Tom Miranda touts taking a practice shot at a stump once your set in your stand as well.  I'm going to make the investment  for some Judo points and put that into practice

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 am

I've never heard it called bow hiking but its alot of fun. Your right with the judo points I've never lost an arrow. I did crest up and refletch a few arrows just for this, bright orange. I got bored with the still targets and got a bunch of balloons. The balloons blow around and if you don't hit them square your arrow wind will move them and you end up missing.

Well I got sick of replaceing the balloons every shot or two so I replaced them with card board coffee cans (not metal). I fill them with grocery plastic bags and pack the can good, then tie a string or small rope to the can. Tie it to what ever and shoot. The wind will still move the can around and I can get about 100 shots, then throw them out.

Good topic

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am

Makes me think I should get a couple arrows in some absurd color, like hot pink, and fletch them with neon green vanes and go out and let a few fly.

coach

Postby coach » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:02 pm

I shoot on grouse.  Its an all time high for grouse where I bowhunt.

I usually try to limit myself to do it in early season only.   WHen the rut starts....I hold back.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

I carry "foo foo" feathers on a couple of arrows....they'er designed for squirrel shots slows arrow down for better recovery.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting