whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fasteddie

RE: whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Postby fasteddie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 am

I had a QAD rest on a bow and no matter how much I adjusted it , I couldn't get 100 percent fletching clearance . I sold in in Classifieds on another site . Then I bought the DMI rest for a Parker Phoenix EZ-Draw . When I got my Pearson TX-4 I put a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on it . I still have a WB on a Golden eagle Evolution ................
Semper Fi !

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:15 am

I don't know if its been brought up before and I apologize if it has but I've heard of WB's getting snow or moisture on them and freezing up, totally screwing up the shots. I encounter those conditions frequently here in WI and wouldn't want to deal with that.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 am

The only thing I can see being beneficial with the WB is the full capture aspect. Normally when you set your bow up, you try to avoid any fletching/rest contact. Also, if your form produces any bow torque you could greatly influence arrow flight before the arrow clears the WB. I currently use drop zones on my bows with no issues.
Dave M.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:35 am

After spooking the largest 8 pointer away by having my arrow fall off the rest while following it under my stand, I switched to a whisker & haven't looked back. Min. arrow speed drop & the fletches show min. wear.

You will never have the problem of your arrow falling off your rest if you got a drop away rest with a containment arm. I have one, I can turn my bow upside down and my arrow will not fall off my rest. There is no comparison between a drop away and a whisker biscuit rest. Good drop away rests are far superior when it comes to accuracy and arrow flight. A properly installed drop away rest will provide you with such shooting ease that you will grin from ear to ear at how tight your groups will become, and how extremely accurate you will be at longer distances.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:23 am

I agree, I use the trophy taker fully enclosed and love it!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:46 am

I went with a QAD dropaway.  Absolutely love it.  Easy to tune and added 15 yards to my comfort zone.  Highly recommend it to anyone.
The guy at my local proshop steered me away from the Whisker biscuit.  Said he has had issues keeping them in tune.
Shoot all year long!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 am

I've shot most of the fall aways on the market at work and i must say they have come a long way in the last 5-6yrs. Im still a biscuit guy at heart though and still have one on my bow. If its not broken dont fix it, right?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 am

I used to be super paranoid about my arrow falling off the rest so I used a WB. I had to replace fletchings on a regular basis cuz of the contact wear and I could'nt use helical fletchings cuz arrows don't spin well going thru the whiskers. I replaced the WB with a drop away that has a containment arm and IMO there is a world of difference. My arrows fly straighter and faster, more accurate with better groups and my fletchings last much longer!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:49 am

I could'nt use helical fletchings cuz arrows don't spin well going thru the whiskers.

You are right in your post and I agree with you, I just want to point out that the arrow does not start to spin until its away from the bow.
Jake

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Yeah, you're right Goose. I should have said helicals don't pass thru the whiskers well. Thanks!

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting