whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
jdsbuckfever

RE: whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Postby jdsbuckfever » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 pm

i have the rip cord drop away rest on my hoyt and  i love it

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:06 pm

Any rest that satifies your personal shooting style and preference is the right rest for you. I have been shooting the WB for several years and I have no complaints about it. Every deer I've shot using it is just as dead as any of the others I have killed.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:22 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I can see marks whear the vanes are brushing the felt on the arrow rest as it drops. Is that common with the Trophy Taker?

As it turns out, the rest was dropping properly but the arrow keeper was not allowing it to get out of the way.It is fixed now.

Oddly enough, it has make little to no difference at 20 yds, but it has allowed my 30 yd pin to become my 35 yd pin. Less contact with the arrow = less drop I guess. 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:49 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I love my trophy taker rest would strongly recomend it! Has anyone ever had problems with the wb getting wet or freezing after being wet! how about wear ?

My pro-shop guy (who is also a good friend and a ridiculously skilled archer) sells wb's. He just won't sell one to me or let me put one on my bow. His favorite wb story is the frozen rain one, where the arrow never completely left the bow.

When I first saw one I was a little puzzled that you were expected to shoot through this thing that was gonna have all this contact with your arrow just as it was launching. Lots of people shooting them though, so they must be happy. 20fps seems to me like a high price to pay just to keep an arrow on the rest.

I guess we're all pretty lucky to have lots of options in equipment.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:28 pm

I too use the WB on my Hoyt ultramag. I see what it's doing to the fletchings too. But the question I have here is...........as I am drawing my carbon Maxima arrow back thru the WB, I can hear it. I had this happen on my 1st one with my old Hoyt and alum arrows. I just happened to hear it tonight and was wondering who puts what on the WB or arrow to deaden/quiet it down? 2 years ago I was busted drawing back and that was  a bummer. Anybody got any ideas/ solutions?
  I like the WB cause like others have said, the arrow doesn't fall off when the bow isn't level..I'll stick with what works for me.[;)]
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker
My pro-shop guy (who is also a good friend and a ridiculously skilled archer) sells wb's. He just won't sell one to me or let me put one on my bow. His favorite wb story is the frozen rain one, where the arrow never completely left the bow.
When I first saw one I was a little puzzled that you were expected to shoot through this thing that was gonna have all this contact with your arrow just as it was launching. Lots of people shooting them though, so they must be happy. 20fps seems to me like a high price to pay just to keep an arrow on the rest.

Losing 20 fps is pure bull . 2 -3 fps is more like it . You could lose more than that with a Tube Peep !

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:48 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Losing 20 fps is pure bull . 2 -3 fps is more like it . You could lose more than that with a Tube Peep !

Actually, when I think about it, any loss in fps would have to do in part with whatever inherent energy you are starting with. Lets say you're right (but I'm not saying that[;)]) and it's 3fps. I'm currently due to some health problems, cranked down to 46 lbs. I don't feel I have any excess energy to give away.
If you're shooting 70lbs, maybe not as a big deal. Maybe. It's like my personal issue with mechanicals- I'm not willing to screw around with kinetics even a little to maybe compensate for something else. And I'm not even in the 21st century with a drop away, instead I still have my 2 prong spring launcher. Just haven't dealt with it yet.

When I switch, it will be for any one of a number of drop away's that also hold the arrow securely on the bow. But that's me. Like I said we're all lucky to have all kinds of options.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:55 pm

I dont think it is pure bull the wb is holding your arrow completly and adding resistance to the arrow all the way through the release and then catching on the vanes or feathers I have to think it is more than 2-3 fps especailly when the thing gets wet or frozen. 20 fps sounds more realistic to me jmop.

Even the smallest amount of resistance slows your arrows done. I changed from 125 grain broadheads to 100 grain heads and changed my arrows went from 9.1 grains per squre inch to 8.2 grains per square inch, picked up 40+fps. So how wouldnt full resistance on the arrow not slow it done 20fps.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 am

I'm with schlupis here. While not as detailed, I have some recent personal experience to back him up.

I changed from a WB to a Trophy Taker, without changing anything else.

I am drawing a carbon arrow w/ 100 gr. tips at 70 lbs.

With the WB, I had pins for 10-20-30 yds. and I had a tremendous loss of accuracy beyond 35 yds.

With the Trophy Taker (and slight adjustment), my 10 yd. pin became my 20 yd. pin, my 20 yd. pin became my 35 yd. pin, and I got rid of the 3rd pin all together because I am not ready to shoot out to 40 yds and beyond (although I think I could).

Seems like more than 2-3 fps gain to me.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

I dont think it is pure bull the wb is holding your arrow completly and adding resistance to the arrow all the way through the release and then catching on the vanes or feathers I have to think it is more than 2-3 fps especailly when the thing gets wet or frozen. 20 fps sounds more realistic to me jmop.

Even the smallest amount of resistance slows your arrows done. I changed from 125 grain broadheads to 100 grain heads and changed my arrows went from 9.1 grains per squre inch to 8.2 grains per square inch, picked up 40+fps. So how wouldnt full resistance on the arrow not slow it done 20fps.

See thats where I'm at, but not having any personal experience with one I can only limit my postings to speculation and what I feel has to do with common sense.(it's hangin on to your arrow) It was easy for me since my pro shop guy simply forbade me from using one. He's a good friend and as my utmost respect as an archer and bowtech. He sells them. He just won't endorse them.

I admit they puzzle me a little. The only advantage I see in their design is that they positively keep the arrow on the rest. But there are many rests out there that keep the arrow on the bow and have no contact at all with the arrow, so that is what wonders me about the designs apparent popularity.

But again, lots of folks using them and happy. Out of curiosity, are these things way less expensive than other more conventional rests? I've never even priced one.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting