whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
dmcianfa

RE: whisker biscuit or drop away rests?

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 am

Just looking it appears that the WB on average is about $65, while drop aways, are anywhere from $80 to $100 depending on the model.  Trophy Ridge drop zone at Cabelas is $90. 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:53 am

When I had my WB , I shot it through a Chrony . It varied from 2-3 fps . I would dare guess that the majority of folks that put down the Whisker biscuit have never used one .
String nocks , peeps , string suppressors , etc all rob you of fps when shooting . Get rid of them and pick up some speed .

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Your right I have never shot one nor do I want too, but have you shot with a drop away. have a buddy who put one on his bow and the bisket kept coming loose and even fell off a couple of time when shooting needless to say he no longer shoots the wb.. Plus I think they are loud when the arrow and feathers pass through the bisket.

I dont care if the wb holds your arrow in place and wont let it fall off if a guy cant pull his bow back level then maybe he is pulling to much weight and if sombody is going to take a shot where they need to hold there bow a such a angle the arrow might fall off than that is probably a ill advised shot in the first place..

My drop away rest has a cradle which holds the arrow on the riser when sitting and when the bow is drawn back the rest itself holds the arrow in place. I have never worried about the arrow falling off.

the fall away rest drops out of the way and lets the arrow fly freely with no resistance or interferance from the rest resulting in better arrow flight. The wb does not allow this to happen.

I dont see the advantage in the wb but if you like it thats great keep shooting with it.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 am

I used the WB when I used to "walk and stalk" . Too old for that now . [:(]
I have a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on a Ben Pearson TX-4 and a DMI rest on a Parker Phoenix EZ-Draw . I chrono'd both bows when I made the change over so I know it's 2-3 fps . The little brushes don't grip the arrow .[8|]
Never had a WB come loose or fall apart . That's gotta be a joke , right ? Every nut , bolt & screw should be tight on your bow or you shouldn't be shooting it . [:-]
The WB freezing ? I have yet to see any bowhunters out in 32 degree (or below) with a bow ! Thank heavens it's only going to be 35 degrees tonight so my Drop Zone shouldn't freeze up in the am when season opens tomorrow . [8|]

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:34 am

I shot a WB when hunting in -20 degrees last year. The WB had no problem functioning in that weather... However , the operator had lots of problems...but that's another thread. I think we have a WB Urban Legend.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

When I had my WB , I shot it through a Chrony . It varied from 2-3 fps . I would dare guess that the majority of folks that put down the Whisker biscuit have never used one .
String nocks , peeps , string suppressors , etc all rob you of fps when shooting . Get rid of them and pick up some speed .

I have used both. I am NOT putting down the WB. I just prefer the drop away.

Have you hunted with a drop away?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:40 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH
I have used both. I am NOT putting down the WB. I just prefer the drop away.
Have you hunted with a drop away?

Yes , I have . Last year I hunted with a DMI drop away and this year I will be using a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone . I don't stalk with either one as the arrow doesn't stay on the rest , even with the little doo-dad that sticks to the riser shelf . The drop aways are fine if you aren't moving .

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 am

I would just like to say, the right rest, is the one that works for you! With that said, I put a QAD drop away on my new bow, and it works great. No, it's not cheap, but I feel it was worth the $. The QAD is a full containment drop away(best of both worlds). Just my two cents!

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm

I took my octane hostage off in October... it just wore too fast. I put a QAD Hunter on and I love it. More accurate, less noise.

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:54 am

After spooking the largest 8 pointer away by having my arrow fall off the rest while following it under my stand, I switched to a whisker & haven't looked back. Min. arrow speed drop & the fletches show min. wear.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting