Your extreem range?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JPH

Your extreem range?

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:06 am

Given ideal conditions (a relaxed deer, broadside or quartering away, with an open lane and no wind) what is the longest shot you will attempt with your current archery set-up?

allthingshunting

RE: Your extreem range?

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:55 am

Completely open, no wind, no brush, no nothing....50 yards.

Usually this situation will not happen under real world conditions.

I know i am not that popular based on that answer, many on this site wouldn't shoot past 20 yards.  I practice and i am very accurate to 80 yards.  I feel a relaxed animal at 50 is about the max if you don't want something to go wrong more times than not.

How about you JPH, since i stuck my neck out to be lopped off.

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:33 am

I would go 35 yds that about as far as I feel comfortable shotting but thats me

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 am

ORIGINAL: allthingshunting

How about you JPH, since i stuck my neck out to be lopped off.

I am good out to 35 yards. Beyond that I start to get a little wild.

I totally understand and respect your post. The question was in IDEAL conditions, and we know things are rarely ideal in the real world. Nobody should bash you for knowing your ability.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 am

I put down 35 yards, because that's what I've already accomplished, and feel comfortable shooting to, given ideal hunting conditions.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:47 pm

I practice almost daily out to 80yd.  Given the situation you discribed (that being perfect) I would take a shot out to 65 or 70 yards. It would have to be the perfect situation though I.E.  Flat ground, open lane , and a deer that is totally oblivious to the fact that there is a hunter with in 100 miles of him.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Sunday afternoon I was up in a tree. 3:45 I had a buck come by at 29-30 yards broadside. I use a Cobra pendulum site. Put the pin on him and hit the release. At the sound of the string, he turned which then the arrow entered in front of the back leg and exited behind the front leg. When doing the field dressing, the back 1/2 of the arrow was in him.
  Have I practiced at that range, no. Always 20 yards was my practice distance but someone said with that site, if your on at 20, you're good to 35.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:32 pm

ORIGINAL: stormshooter4
Always 20 yards was my practice distance but someone said with that site, if your on at 20, you're good to 35.

Ummm, they might have meant if you're good at 10, you're good at 20, and even if they said that, I'd question them.

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 pm

ORIGINAL: allthingshunting

Completely open, no wind, no brush, no nothing....50 yards.

Usually this situation will not happen under real world conditions.

I know i am not that popular based on that answer, many on this site wouldn't shoot past 20 yards.  I practice and i am very accurate to 80 yards.  I feel a relaxed animal at 50 is about the max if you don't want something to go wrong more times than not.

How about you JPH, since I stuck my neck out to be lopped off.
    You dont need to feel guilty for being a good archer! If your confident and consitant at that distance, then I dont see anything wrong with taking a 50 yrd shot!  Myself, 30 yrd's is as far as I'll shoot at an animal. With my new setup(bought in july 08), I'll shoot targets out to 60 yrd's, but passed 30 my groups get kinda ugly!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Under those conditions I would take the shot out to 40. Would have to have a definite range though!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting