Your extreem range?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JPH

RE: Your extreem range?

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:50 pm

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

40 if the buck was one that I knew I would never see again.

It's an open poll, so your answer is your answer. Fair enough. But I do have to question your reasoning. I hear statements like yours a lot.

I think the best way to ensure that you'll never see him again is to take a shot that is beyond your rock solid range.

Food for thought.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

40 if the buck was one that I knew I would never see again.

It's an open poll, so your answer is your answer. Fair enough. But I do have to question your reasoning. I hear statements like yours a lot.

I think the best way to ensure that you'll never see him again is to take a shot that is beyond your rock solid range.

Food for thought.

The way I look at it this: If it was early bow and the resident brute is there then I probably would not take a chancy shot. I kinda have his home range and pattern figured (or at lest I hope I do).

However, during rut when bucks go running all over and a bruiser that no one has seen comes cruising and I know I will never see this buck again then I would seriously consider it, granting that conditions were ideal.

Odds are the conditions are almost never ideal in November and I would not take the shot, but ya never know.

Fact is I have had two shot opps on two bucks this year at 25 and 15 yrds and have missed both due to buck fever. Got two does in same time period at 20 and 15 yrds. So perfect to me is that I am as calm as the buck I am trying to shoot. "Perfect"
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:10 am

I see we have some "poke and hope" types that think if ya can see it ya can shoot it[&o]
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:12 pm

I think your maximum "EFFECTIVE" range is based on how far you practice shooting, and how good your form is. Shooting at targets from long range is the best way to expose any form flaws you may have. I started shooting regularly from 75 yards this summer, and it's incredible how close a 50 yard shot feels after shooting from that distance. But, having said that, I still wouldn't shoot past 45 yards at "MR. BIG" or a doe because I don't want to give the anti-hunters any more ammunition. Imagine a story in the newspaper about a 200" buck found with an arrow in his butt because someone shot past their effective range...., because they were shaking like a leaf..., and because they may never get another chance at that deer!!! Don't take chances, all deer deserve our respect, and our very best.

jaybyrd450r

Postby jaybyrd450r » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 am

under those conditions i said 45 yds with a range finder i have real nice groups out to 60 but thats a target and also the target wont jump the sound of the string either like a deer that also can turn a shot bad real quick

b1html

Postby b1html » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:04 pm

I practice on a regular basis out to 70,  that being said this was my first year of bow hunting, at 60 yrds with a range finder... I   harvested a doe....  I didn't get a pass through but did hit4 inches high of where i aimed.  under perfect conditions I  wouldn't hesitate on a 50 or 60 yard shot...its all in what your comfortable with....

Woody

Postby Woody » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:17 pm

I would feel comfortable shooting out to 40yds if I knew forsure it was 40yds. 

wack

Postby wack » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:29 am

The word Extreme had to make my choice at 50. That's the longest I've had to shoot and I only did it once. I had a buck at 15 yards duck my string, took one to the spine, I thought. It was down for quiet awhile, 20 yards out, out of sight behind some brush could here a little movement, stayed put ready for another shot or wait it out. All of a sudden it gets up and runs out to 50 yards, turns broadside and stops. My first arrow sticking straight up out of his back. I ranged him at 50, aimed high for 40, looked like a good hit. Ran east, I went for help, came back and started tracking 2 hours later, found 2nd arrow, good blood, 1st arrow broke near gut pile and ATV tracks leading off the property. I never even thought about shooting 50 yards til then.

My longest first shot was under 35 yards and I'd rather keep them under 25.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

jafin

Postby jafin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:03 pm

40 yards is all the farther i practice! But in ideal perfect conditions with moderen technology (speed) there really is not much difference between 30 or 40 yards is there?
Jafin

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:12 pm

That depends on the size of your groups at 30 & 40 yards.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting