Archer, Bowhunter, Or Both?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woods Walker

Archer, Bowhunter, Or Both?

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am

Cabin fever time folks...So it's time to start meaningless philosophical discussions. Here goes....

Do you consider yourself an archer, or a bowhunter, or both?

I guess defining some terms here would be in order. If your only motivation for shooting your bow is so that you can get ready for hunting season, then I would consider that being a bowhunter only.

If you shoot for the sheer joy of shooting, and all the minutia that goes with it, and you are on an endless quest to be the most perfect shot you can be, then I'd say that makes you an archer.

You can also very well be both, and that would NOT be a bad thing at all!

I guess the final test would be to answer this question.......

If you could no longer hunt with your bow (no place to hunt, Obama, HSUS, and PETA get their dream come true and outlaw hunting, or for some medical reason you can't draw a hunting weight bow any longer***AND LET'S KEEP THE CROSSBOWS OUT OF THE DISCUSSION***, or whatever), would you still shoot a bow?

My answer is YES, but I wasn't always that way. I, like many, came to archery through bowhunting, and my only reason for buying and shooting a bow was to be able to have a longer deer hunting season. This was my motivation for a good number of years, and many times during bow season I'd see a deer that was out of bow range, and I wished I'd had a gun in my hands.

Then gradually that changed, and one gun season I killed a nice 8 pointer with my shotgun at about 12 yards, and without thinking about it I had this sudden disappointment and wished I'd had my BOW in my hands instead of the gun!

7 years ago I stopped shooting my compounds, and went 100% with my recurves. Over that time, I've come to enjoy the "off" season about as much as the regular deer bow season. I shoot all year, and 10,000 to 12,000 arrows a year is about my average, and a good percentage of that is roving in fields and woods with Judo points. I shoot in my basement when the weather is bad, and I even shoot aerial targets when I get the chance. 1 or 2 3-D shoots a month during non-bowseason is also the norm.

How about any others?  I will add that there are no WRONG answers here. It's just for the sake of discussion, and maybe it'll make some of us think a bit too.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Patriot

RE: Archer, Bowhunter, Or Both?

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am

Great question.  I'd have to go with (passionate) bowhunter only.

If I couldn't bowhunt, I'd probably shoot once in a while, but not enough to be "archer" status.

BTW, I truly admire your devotion to archery....Sir Walker of the Woods (aka Chewy).[:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am

Excellent Topic.

I'd say bowhunter, but I am definitely showing signs of archer which hopefully makes me a better bowhunter, so short answer, both!

I have set up the basement to shoot year round and shoot at least 3-6 arrows a day, or whenever th opportunity presents itself.

I look forward to shooting the bow. I get a sense of satisfaction with shooting well.

I even excersize sometimes before shooting just to simulate the "buck fever" or pressure situations all the while trying to stay consicence of my form.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 pm

This is a GREAT question!  The only reason I bought my bow was to give myself an excuse to hunt for more than a few weekends a year.  I only wanted to shoot well enough to kill a deer and that was it.  I had never shot a bow or had the desire to shoot a bow until 2 years ago.  Since I bought my bow I shoot year round and would consider myself to be both.  I don't do the 3D shoots but I am in a league during the summer at my bow shop and I average at least 4 dozen arrows a day 5 days a week.  I would love to get a recurve or a long bow but i'll holding myself off for a bit before i try conquering the world. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

The only reason I bought my bow was to give myself an excuse to hunt for more than a few weekends a year. I only wanted to shoot well enough to kill a deer and that was it.

I've got to believe that this is probably the most common way that most of us started out. It's sure was mine. But then something clicks.......and you're hooked!

Now, just having 4" groups at my max hunting range is not enough. I want to be able to shoot aspirins out of the air like Byron Ferguson does. I'll never get there, but I sure will try!

And even if I don't get that good, it'll make me one HELL of a hunting shot!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I would have to say, both.  Much like yourself, I started shooting (a bow) so I could hunt with it (longer season) but, as time went on, I begin to enjoy shooting just for the sake of shooting.  I bought my first bow when I was about 18 (I'm 39 now) a Browning "huntmaster II" coumpound (boy have bows come a long way since then).  I have only recently started shooting a recurve, a Fred Bear "Black Bear"(50#).  It belonged to my grandfather (it's at least 30 yrs old), I inhereted it when he passed away(18 years ago).  Last summer, I took it to my local proshop to have it "checked out" (to make sure it was safe to shoot) the shop owner set me up, (new string, arrows, stringer)gave me a few pointers and, I began shooting.  As much as I enjoy it (the recurve), I have a long way to go to become a "proficient" archer!  Some day, I would like to hunt with it, but that is not "why" I shoot it!  I quite simply enjoy the sport (of archery)!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Bowhunter, i shoot a lot of 3d targets durin the summer but really only do it to get ready to hunt

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm

My house is built on slab....no basement.

If I had a basement, I'm sure I'd be shooting much more. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Both,
I have been shooting a bow for as long as can remember, my dad always had bows and arrows for his boys.
I love to shoot all year long including a video league during the winter and summer.
I also try to shoot everyday in the basement but I would be lying to ya if I said I get down there every day.
I love working on bows and arrows as well. I try to do everything myself except for the major stuff. I tune my bow so it shoots bullets then Ill also tinker with friends and families bows as well as fletch arrows for them.Love checking out all the new stuff when it comes out too!
Bow hunting is almost ridiculous for me, its on my mind ALL the time.
I LOVE SHOOTING A BOW!!!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Like others have stated, it's an excellent topic. I wish I had more to add to it. But...

Bow hunter.

I like to shoot, but not enough to do it as a hobby without the chance to hunt.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting