Deer Jumping the String

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Highlander Archery

RE: Deer Jumping the String

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:05 am

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:05 am

Ok let's give this a try,

I still can't post these. I cut them down to 233 kb. Can we post wavs?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:10 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Ok let's give this a try,

I still can't post these. I cut them down to 233 kb. Can we post wavs?

Looks like we can only post gif, jpeg, jpg, and png files. 

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 am

Okay , I hate to do this but bear with me with some math. (Engineering background, ya what a geekImage)

Assuming a 300 fps arrow speed and a distance of 15 yards (45 feet) the arrow reaches target in .15 seconds. The speed of sound is approximatley 1000 fps. So the string sound arrives in .05 seconds. That gives the deer .1 second to react and get out of the way, or "jump the string". Sounds doubtful to me for a shot that close. Of course, increasing the distance and/or reducing the arrow speed increases the probablity of the deer racting fast enough to avoid the hit.

I think in many cases, the deer's reaction is to what he sees vs. what he hears.  If the bow is in the deers sight , either directly or peripherally, then he can see the arrow movement, string movement and possibly even the hunter's hand or arm movement. All the more so if the deer is alerted to the hunter's presence.

With a shot of 25 yards or greater, I prefer to release when the deer has no chance of seeing me. Less than that, I take my chances with the bow speed vs. the deer's reaction time.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:54 am

Dang Engineers[:D]

Thanks for the insight Keystone!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:52 am

ORIGINAL: keystonehunter

Okay , I hate to do this but bear with me with some math. (Engineering background, ya what a geekImage)

Assuming a 300 fps arrow speed and a distance of 15 yards (45 feet) the arrow reaches target in .15 seconds. The speed of sound is approximatley 1000 fps. So the string sound arrives in .05 seconds. That gives the deer .1 second to react and get out of the way, or "jump the string". Sounds doubtful to me for a shot that close. Of course, increasing the distance and/or reducing the arrow speed increases the probablity of the deer racting fast enough to avoid the hit.

I think in many cases, the deer's reaction is to what he sees vs. what he hears.  If the bow is in the deers sight , either directly or peripherally, then he can see the arrow movement, string movement and possibly even the hunter's hand or arm movement. All the more so if the deer is alerted to the hunter's presence.

With a shot of 25 yards or greater, I prefer to release when the deer has no chance of seeing me. Less than that, I take my chances with the bow speed vs. the deer's reaction time.

Keystonehunter, I'm with you (engineering geek here also)

Your numbers are pretty close. I have data on this subject and your post made me go back and calculate some numbers.

Bow#1  string noise 0.0284 seconds
Bow#1 arrow reaches the 10 yard target at 0.0739 seconds
Bow#1 Arrow reaches the 30 yard target at 0.371 seconds

Bow#2 string noise 0.022
Bow#2 arrow reaches the 10 yard target at 0.0879
Bow#2 arrow reaches the 30 yard target at 0.2962

These are for my bows. I can't upload the wavs and won't post on utube. I did this testing with the same arrow though out. BTW that arrow weight was 600 grain.

cva54

Postby cva54 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:56 am

I got a buck this year 35Y it had NO time to get out of the way I got a old mathews ultra max it is loud for now aday standards I my self shoot for the lungs it is to hard to run that way (yes Iam lazy) you said 1 thing that poped a red flag KID I thing he used the wrong pin I can rember the first deer I shoot at I was 13 that was over 30 years ago I unloaded my mod 94 that is 7 rounds and watch it run away of corse I said it was the gun it isnt my boy did the same thing this year only 4 rounds that is all I gave him if he had more he WOULD of missed with them to so I grabed my old trusty put a pop can out at 40 Y 1st shot it went flying ive gotten 2 deer with it over a 100 Y sorry got off track it is ALL in experance we all did it

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting