Deer Jumping the String

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
8uck5nort

RE: Deer Jumping the String

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:05 am

For what it's worth my two cents.

Everytime I have overshot on does or bucks, (and yes it is plural), and after I have stopped mourning another missed opportunity or looking incriminatingly at my bow or trying to find something else to blame, I will usually find the reason staring back at me in the mirror. 
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:51 am

I have seen a deer jump the string at 20 yards, it is the only time it has happened to me and the deer was on high alert - I should have waited.  A deer calm at 15 yards, probably not going to happen. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:50 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

For what it's worth my two cents.

Everytime I have overshot on does or bucks, (and yes it is plural), and after I have stopped mourning another missed opportunity or looking incriminatingly at my bow or trying to find something else to blame, I will usually find the reason staring back at me in the mirror. 

Well stated!  One of the plus's about shooting instinctive recurve like I do, is that shy of a string breaking, I AM the one and only reason why a shot went bad!  They do wonders for your honesty.....[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 am

i mena i love the kid
but he does lye alot
yes the deer was slwoly feeding and was barely walking forward when he shot and he said it must have missed her by 5 inches
to be honest i think the kid missed
we all do
jeez i missed a deer at 30 yards two years ago i should have hit it but i didnt
so i shot 3d shoots and practiced all summer and winter long
than this year i arrowed 2 deer one at 15 yards and the other at 36 yards
the first time i shot at the one at 45 yards he ducked the arrow for sure
but than i got a second shot and aimed lower and he ducked into it and hit him high lung
but i jst find it hard to believe that the deer ducked at least 12 inches at 15 yards

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:52 am

Two facts that always get overlooked when talking about "jumping the string". First, all arrows make noise in flight. Second, sound travels faster than any arrow.

There could be any number of reasons for the deer to react to a shot, a slight sound from the arrow rest will reach the deer long before the arrow does. The sound of the release opening, the string slapping on an arm guard or other clothing will barely or not be noticed by a hunter at the moment of truth, although the deer may hear it plain as day.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

First, all arrows make noise in flight. Second, sound travels faster than any arrow.

First off let me say i DO NOT recommend doing this little test.

Last year at the archery range my buddy and i were wondering how much noise an deer hears as the arrow is flying its direction. Simple enough to figure this out. My buddy stood at about 40yds and i went and stood about 5yds to the side of the target. We tried a couple different styles of vanes and they ALL made comparable noise.

Not real loud but certainly alot more than i would have expected. The noise of the air rushing over the vanes created a noise similar to a jet taking off just not as loud. And yes the noise was there long before the arrow was.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:33 am

I say it's possible but not probable.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:39 am

Last year at the archery range my buddy and i were wondering how much noise an deer hears as the arrow is flying its direction. Simple enough to figure this out. My buddy stood at about 40yds and i went and stood about 5yds to the side of the target. We tried a couple different styles of vanes and they ALL made comparable noise.

Not real loud but certainly alot more than i would have expected. The noise of the air rushing over the vanes created a noise similar to a jet taking off just not as loud. And yes the noise was there long before the arrow was.
[/quote]

I wish I could post the wave files so that you could listen. I did that test, I had a microphone at the shooter right ear and down range.

Here's the interesting part we shot 4 different brand compound bows. Then shot a recurve. The faster the bow the louder the sound of the arrow release down range. Guess what the recurve you could not hear at 30 plus yards. Same arrow though out the test.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

First, all arrows make noise in flight. Second, sound travels faster than any arrow.

Fortunately, we did this test at a friend's house and were able to stand around the corner as the arrow wizzed by.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:02 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

[color="#0000cc"]First off let me say i DO NOT recommend doing this little test.

[/color]

I wish I could post the wave files so that you could listen. I did that test, I had a microphone at the shooter right ear and down range.

Here's the interesting part we shot 4 different brand compound bows. Then shot a recurve. The faster the bow the louder the sound of the arrow release down range. Guess what the recurve you could not hear at 30 plus yards. Same arrow though out the test.
[/quote]

Upload them to youtube or something and post the link.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting