Help requested for a new/old bowhunter

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fasteddie

RE: Help requested for a new/old bowhunter

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 pm

I have a Golden Eagle evolution (60#), a Parker phoenix EZ-Draw (70#) and a Ben Pearson TX-4 (60#) . I won the TX-4 in a raffle and hunted with that this year . They are all nice bows and comfortable to shoot . I never got into the dedication to any bow company as there are a lot of excellent manufacturers out there !
I don't bother to chronograph my bows as I am shooting a 470 grain arrow . Killed a 6 pt at about 35 yards on Nov 10 so I know it works for me . Speed isn't everything .
Go to a few shops and try several bows . Buy the one that feels best . Also get your draw length checked . I had been shooting a 29" draw when I should have been shooting a 28" draw (or less) . That helped tighten my groups .
Good luck finding a bow ! [:)]
Semper Fi !

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:09 am

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I'm looking forward to going out to several shops to find what is right for me. Next season can't get here quick enough!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:54 am

Well, I'm 6'3" 200lbs and I just bought the Martin firecat for $450, recycled my whisker biscut, trophy line sight, new PSE pro carbon arrows $80 raw shaft at 30".  It's shooting almost as fast as my son's PSE X-force for $795.  I really like it.  My recommendation is that whatever brand you buy go to a pro shop and hold and shoot the bow before buying.  If they won't let you shoot it, it's not a pro shop.  Good Luck.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 am

I would suggest trying different Bows at a local Archery Shop and pick one within your price range that feels good to shoot and that your are comfortable with.I would reccomend using carbon arrows and either a mechanical or fixed broadhead of your choice,I am using the NAP HellRazor fixed broadheads because I sometimes hunt/shoot from my ground blind.A trigger release is a good idea and a level on your sight so you know your shooting correctly.OH yeah....and be sure to get a safety harness if your hunting out of a tree stand.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting