youth archery

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fireflyparamedic

youth archery

Postby fireflyparamedic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:36 pm

As soon as the holidays pass I would like to get my daughter set up and start shooting a bow. She is almost 8yrs old and has been asking me when she could get a bow. What is the general concensus out there with kids and bows? Should she start with a traditional bow and fingers or go with a compound with a release? Figured she will take some classes after being set up and we can shoot together to pass the long winter enjoying some father/daughter time. Its funny she keeps on showing me what her form looks like when she imitates me when shooting. Any advice would be great and appreciated.
firefly

Highlander Archery

RE: youth archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:46 am

Genesis Bow and fingers. Get her form down first and then work on aiming.

Great starting point HERE

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:51 am

More on NASP

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:59 am

i got my 11yr old nephew a browing micro midas compound bow.it is adjustable in draw weight and length..whole package for 200.i also took him to a NY bowhunters youth camp.the do a friday,saturday sunday of shooting,learning,taking hunter safety.when the weekends over they get their bow certificate and other goodies,plus vaulable skills such as tracking,tree stand safety,compass work etcc..there was 2 young girls in the group too
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm

thanks for the advice highlander and joel. I think I'm just as excited as she is to get her her first bow. Look forward to it.
firefly

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 am

Joining a local archery club is an excellent way to spend time learning and practicing.  You can usually find good deals on used equipment for kids too.  She's of the perfect age to get started.   I am able to shoot up to 15 yards in my basement and both my son,7 and daughter,9, shoot at 10 yards with my supervision.   Block targets work great for lower poundage bows, otherwise the arrows tend to bounce off. 

Have fun!!!!![;)]
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

Pabowhunter

Postby Pabowhunter » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:46 pm

See if there is a Junior Olympics Archery Development program in your area, or at your local archery club. Very good way to get a kid started into archery.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:02 pm

I agree with Highlander Archery....the Genesis bow from Mathews is a great way to go.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:54 am

Id suggest startin with a youth recurve. Lighter wght of the bow itself will have her shootin more. check maddog archery or black rhino.  Startin out, dont worry about her form and all that crap, kids just want to see that arrow stick in something! If ya start the preachin and teachin right off, they quickly lose interest.

"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:33 pm

ALWAYS WORK ON FORM. Point of impact is irrelevant and Bullseyes are even more irrelevant till FORM is mastered.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting