youth archery

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
trapperDave

RE: youth archery

Postby trapperDave » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:06 am

yeah, all that tech crap really turns a kid on to the sport[8|]...If ya want em to stick to it, let em have FUN. When they ask you how to get better, then ya start on form. Like I said, a child wants to see the arrow stick in something, period.  A little coaching on the very basics, yes. If ya start preachin about all they are doing "wrong" they aint gonna want to play. Let kids be kids, let them set the pace, and most important, enjoy letting them enjoy. Were talkin children here.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:38 pm

ORIGINAL: trapperDave

yeah, all that tech crap really turns a kid on to the sport[8|]...If ya want em to stick to it, let em have FUN. When they ask you how to get better, then ya start on form. Like I said, a child wants to see the arrow stick in something, period.  A little coaching on the very basics, yes. If ya start preachin about all they are doing "wrong" they aint gonna want to play. Let kids be kids, let them set the pace, and most important, enjoy letting them enjoy. Were talkin children here.
          I have to disagree! My daughter has no problem being told how to shoot, how to hold the bow, etc! I'm not so sure, allowing them to start out "sloppy" is the best route to take. Yeah, keep it fun, but, if you dont teach them to shoot "properly" in the begining, they will more than likely develop "bad habits" that will be harder to correct down the road. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but I think you should teach them "right" from start! 

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:40 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

ORIGINAL: trapperDave

I have to disagree! My daughter has no problem being told how to shoot, how to hold the bow, etc! I'm not so sure, allowing them to start out "sloppy" is such a good idea. Yeah, keep it fun, but, if you dont teach them to shoot "properly" in the begining, they will more than likely develop "bad habits" that will be harder to correct down the road. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but I think you should teach them "right" from start! 

What do I know, I'm only NAA and NASP certified and have been responsible for approximately 4000 people learning how to shoot over the last 2 years.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:58 am

I dont know about ya'll, but I'm talkin 3-5 yr olds.... but YOURE the expert here so what ever :)

Big difference between the attention span of preschoolers vs jr high age kids.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm

[url=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/timpasd/Highlander%20Archery/100_0480.jpg]Image
[/url]Image

jafin

Postby jafin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:15 pm

I just purchased my 11 year old son the mission menace by mathews! its a bow with great draw length adjustability as well as poundage! The bow will grow with him and go to legal hunting poundage! alot of other bows will not allow this without buying other limbs or even worse a new bow! so yes its a bit pricey (249bow  350set up) but well worth it in the long run!!
Jafin

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 pm

I will be heading up a really cool ministry at my church this spring.  The setup is exactly like Highlander Archerys' pics above.  We will be using the Mathews Genesis bows (fingers) to teach the kids.

I'm looking forward to it!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I will be heading up a really cool ministry at my church this spring.  The setup is exactly like Highlander Archerys' pics above.  We will be using the Mathews Genesis bows (fingers) to teach the kids.

I'm looking forward to it!!

Welcome to the ranks Patriot. Yup, those be NASP set ups.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:27 am

i shot a Fred Bear i cant remember wat model but i tell ya it was a great bow
id look into that line

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting