How long before new bow?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woody

How long before new bow?

Postby Woody » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:12 pm

With all the new bows showing up again just wondering how long everyone shoots there bow before buying a new one? I shot a Hoyt Razortec for 5 years before I bought my new Katera last spring and then put all new accessories on it.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Goose

RE: How long before new bow?

Postby Goose » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:31 pm

I got the DXT this past spring and love it. Ill be using this bow for couple more years for sure. Shot a Fred Bear for 5 years before this bow, no complaints about that bow either.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:45 pm

I'll be shooting both a Lakota bow and Limbsaver DeadZone as of Feb.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Just bought a new bow this summer. Cosidering The cost, I plan shooting it for a longtime!!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:13 pm

I've had a Jennings Buckmaster for as long as I've been bow hunting (10 years).  If you take care of the limbs, I think the bows can last you a long long time.  I loosen my limbs before storage every winter, and then tighten them again in the summer and shoot for a while.  You can get a lot of use out of a bow.  If they are only meant to shoot 1000 times, then I would recommend getting a new one every 5 years, however I don't think that's the case.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 pm

ORIGINAL: Gafrage

If they are only meant to shoot 1000 times, then I would recommend getting a new one every 5 years, however I don't think that's the case.

If that was the case i would be in need of a new one every month or so..

I bought my switchback in 05. Been looking at getting a new Reezen this year. We'll see.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 pm

ive been shooting the hoyt ZR 200 for 5 or 6 years now i think, maybe more, i cant really remember when i got it. I am considering getting the new Hoyt alphamax in the spring. The main reason im getting a new bow tho is i would like a bow with more draw weight, because my ZR 200 only goes to 60 lbs.  I have never had a problem with it tho. I think it really depends on how well you maintain your bow.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:35 pm

It all depends on you whether you want to buy a new one or now I have a Martin that is probably 20 yrs old and still shoots a high country that I gave to my brother in law that is 8 years old and still shoots 270 fps an old reflex that is 10yrs old or so still shoots great and now a mathews that is 3 years old, which I will probably have for many years because they have lifetime warranty on the limbs..

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:51 pm

My hoyt raider /intruder...is 10 +yrs old...I don't handle change well ...but have picked up a few of the new bows and what a wieght differance! and it's like going from a long bow to a recurve in size....aahhh but shes been kind to me and I've gotten many a buck with her so not yet.....

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:24 am

I hunt with 30-40 year old recurves, no need for the latest bells and whistles
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting