How long before new bow?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
barkriver

RE: How long before new bow?

Postby barkriver » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:23 am

I've been using a Mathews Legacy for 6 years I guess, hunting friends of mine bought new DXT's and don't get me wrong there is a difference between there bows and mine but I think the bow makers come out with news bows every year, much like auto makers just to boost sales when the changes are not really that dramatic. It's like everything take proper care of it and it will last years. Remember our ancestors used a stick and string and a stone for a broadhead. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:36 am

I agree with you to a point, but when I went from the Fred Bear to the Mathews I could not believe the difference. My dad uses my Fred Bear so I still shoot it once in a while and thats when I am amazed at the differences. My new one has a rock solid back wall which I love, no hand shock, faster, quieter, smoother cycle, better grip, alot shorter which is very nice for tight corners while in a stand or ground blind, and I just love shooting it ! From 1 year to the next there isn't a whole lot that changes most of the time but I think in 5 years there have been some major changes and advances.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 am

I've been trading in at least every other year. If you hang on to a bow for more than 2 years, it's trade in value is zilch, might as well keep it and shoot it for life. I made the first big investment and can get the top of the line bow every other year for a couple hundred bucks by trading in. I just got a new bow last summer, traded my Parker Hornet for a Parker Black Hawk. I wanted an X Force, but I'm a lefty and just didn't time my shopping right, never got my hands on one to try. The Dream Season X Force was too big and heavy and nobody around carried the other 2 shorter X Force bows in left handed. If bow hunting this year didn't stink so bad, I'd trade up again next season. Going to have to think on that one. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:56 am

Comparing a Fred Bear to a Mathews is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. My point was comparing "apples to apples" the difference from year to year is not that drastic.

Although to somewhat contradict what I said in an earlier post some of the new 2009 Mathews are radically different I my be in the market this off season. What model to you shoot Goose, is it one of the slimmer limb bows? Has anyone had a chance to get there hands on one of the several new models. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:33 am

Archery tends to breed a "keep up with the Jones'" attitude. Bows are almost like video games in that the industry keeps re-inventing itself every year.

My thought is that if you shoot tight groups out to your comfortable range (whatever you want that to be), then keep shooting that rig until it's played out. Why fix what is not broken?

I have already made up my mind. When I find myself with an extra $1000-1500 laying around, I'm going to buy a Mathews. I intend for that to be my bow until it falls apart. Just like my Toyota truck.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:51 am

JPH-If your bow is like a Toyota you'll be using it for many years to come.
At what point do you break down though? The limbs and cams should last along time and you can replace the string and cables every other year. So you should be able to shoot the same bow for a loooong time right? The keeping up with the jones can be a true statement in regards to anything that you update. Do you need a new bow if yours is still shooting arrows? Probably not but I think after 5 to 10 years of shooting the same bow your doing yourself a favor by getting a more "modern" one. Its also a good time to re-evaluate your shooting style and form.
Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not saying go put a brand new bow on your credit card and deal with it later. I'm saying that in 5-10 years alot changes in bows and it may make you a better shot and more confident. Obviously money does matter and a new bow should be on the bottom of your list but to say don't buy a new one until your old one breaks can be a bit too far.IMO

There now you can read it. looked like I was half asleep when I wrote it!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:45 am

Yeah, fair statement Goose. This was my 15th bow season and I am shooting my 3rd bow, so I'm on pace. I keep talking myself out of buying the Mathews as it is. Thanks for making that hole in my wallet a little bigger! That money will be falling out soon. [:D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 am

Ok talk about needing a new bow, listen to this.  I got my first bow when I was 10 I believe.  It's a XI Impact.  I'm 30 now, and I STILL shoot it!  Nothing has changed with it...Just changed the draw length.  Still shoots really good.  BUT, I think it's almost time for a change, what do you think?  [:D]  My nephew is coming up through the ranks now...He's 8 so I'm thinking of handing it down to him in a year or two.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:51 pm

i'm from the "if it aint broke dont fix it"school so not for awhile[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Ok talk about needing a new bow, listen to this.  I got my first bow when I was 10 I believe.  It's a XI Impact.  I'm 30 now, and I STILL shoot it!  Nothing has changed with it...Just changed the draw length.  Still shoots really good.  BUT, I think it's almost time for a change, what do you think?  [:D]  My nephew is coming up through the ranks now...He's 8 so I'm thinking of handing it down to him in a year or two.
   I think, if you hav'nt shot a "new" bow yet, you are in for a real treat! Up until this past summer I was shooting an old Darton 'exel'. Bought it (second hand) from  guy I worked with, about six or seven years ago. I thought it shot pretty well, until I got my hands on a couple new ones. WOW, like night and day! 

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting