How long before new bow?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Bowtechian

RE: How long before new bow?

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 pm

I used to go about five years between new bows. That is before I became good friends with a pro shop owner.( Not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent.) I need to break my string of three consecutive years of buying, but the deals were just too sweet.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:00 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

ORIGINAL: Gafrage

If they are only meant to shoot 1000 times, then I would recommend getting a new one every 5 years, however I don't think that's the case.

If that was the case i would be in need of a new one every month or so..

I bought my switchback in 05. Been looking at getting a new Reezen this year. We'll see.

Realistically, hunting bows aren't meant to be shot that often, and that many times.  I don't know if you are sponsored by a bow manufacturer or not (Mathews), but shooting that many times, you might as well just get a tournament shooting bow.  They are made out of different materials.  1000 times = 0.5 times per day.  I have yet to see someone who shoots their bow that often.  On top of that, I was making a statement to the durability of the bows that are available to hunters today.  Even if you shoot your bow 20-30 times a day, from June to September, that's still only 120 times, how often do you actually shoot your bow during the actual season?  Not that often Prairie.  I'm not trying to start a fight here, all I'm saying is that for the typical hunter, especially reading these forums and a non member of the Stump Sitters, they don't shoot that often.  I understand there might be some people out there that shoot a lot, they use Tournament Bows, not their actual Hunting Bows. 

Do you buy a new rifle each and every year, because you shoot that as often too?  I'm not going to buy that, and people who shoot a lot of rounds through those things don't buy a new one each and every year anyway.  Again different material.  If you take care of your bow, and your equipment, there is no need to buy a new bow so often.  You might need to replace your bow string every 3 years or so, but to replace the bow that often, ridiculous.  It's more of a "Look at that!  The Jones have that, so I want that too!"  That sounds more like this conversation than anything else.

JPH quote:
"Archery tends to breed a "keep up with the Jones'" attitude. Bows are almost like video games in that the industry keeps re-inventing itself every year."

Yea, I read that after I typed all of this.  It's so true though.  People kill deer with long bows, what's the big rush in getting a new hunting bow when the last one did the job anyway?  Unless they are giving it to you for a discount or for free.
"

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:24 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

If they are only meant to shoot 1000 times, then I would recommend getting a new one every 5 years, however I don't think that's the case.

If that was the case i would be in need of a new one every month or so..

I bought my switchback in 05. Been looking at getting a new Reezen this year. We'll see.

Realistically, hunting bows aren't meant to be shot that often, and that many times.  I don't know if you are sponsored by a bow manufacturer or not (Mathews), but shooting that many times, you might as well just get a tournament shooting bow.  They are made out of different materials.  1000 times = 0.5 times per day.  I have yet to see someone who shoots their bow that often.  On top of that, I was making a statement to the durability of the bows that are available to hunters today.  Even if you shoot your bow 20-30 times a day, from June to September, that's still only 120 times, how often do you actually shoot your bow during the actual season?  Not that often Prairie.  I'm not trying to start a fight here, all I'm saying is that for the typical hunter, especially reading these forums and a non member of the Stump Sitters, they don't shoot that often.  I understand there might be some people out there that shoot a lot, they use Tournament Bows, not their actual Hunting Bows. 

Do you buy a new rifle each and every year, because you shoot that as often too?  I'm not going to buy that, and people who shoot a lot of rounds through those things don't buy a new one each and every year anyway.  Again different material.  If you take care of your bow, and your equipment, there is no need to buy a new bow so often.  You might need to replace your bow string every 3 years or so, but to replace the bow that often, ridiculous.  It's more of a "Look at that!  The Jones have that, so I want that too!"  That sounds more like this conversation than anything else.

JPH quote:
"Archery tends to breed a "keep up with the Jones'" attitude. Bows are almost like video games in that the industry keeps re-inventing itself every year."

Yea, I read that after I typed all of this.  It's so true though.  People kill deer with long bows, what's the big rush in getting a new hunting bow when the last one did the job anyway?  Unless they are giving it to you for a discount or for free.
"

First of all your math is off, 20 times a day for 30 days= 600 shots times 4 months= 2400 shots. My hunting bows regularly shoot 1000 arrows per month at least. Hunting bows are made to shoot just as often as a target rig, the materials are the same. Also the anodizing costs far more than the film dip and economy of scale also means that costs are increased with a target rig because fewer of them are made. $1000.00 spent on finish for a target bow may yield 5 bows, while it yields 20 bows for a film dipped hunting rig.

Finishing Cost:
Target Bow: 200.00
Hunting Bow: 50.00

All other things being equal in cost places the mfg cost of a target rig is 150.00 more than a hunting rig, increasing profit dollars while still maintaining profit percentage. Lets assume that before finishing both the presumptive target rig and the hunting rig cost 300.00 in materials, marketing, and labor.

300+200= 500* 40% markup= 700.00 Dealer Cost
300+50= 350*40% markup= 490.00 Dealer Cost
a total difference of 210.00

Retailers typically make between 20 and 30% on bows, meaning markup us 25% to 43%

700* 25% markup= 875.00 Retail Cost yielding a gross profit of 20%
490* 43%markup= 612.50 Retail Cost yielding a gross profit of 20%

700*43%markup= 1001.00 Retail Cost yielding a gross profit of 30.06%
490*43%markup= 700.70 Retail Cost yielding a gross profit of 30.06%

The hardware that makes up each bow is the same, specialized finishes on target bows are the deciding factor, because the demand is not there. Mfgs will sell 100 or more film dipped "hunting bows" to every 1 Anodized "target bow".

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Yea, all of my friends have bows that are 3 years old or newer.  I've shot them all, and can feel the difference, but I just can't seem to part with my girl!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:21 pm

I will admit, that my math was off, like stated above, the average Joe doesn't shoot that often, and the bows are NOT made of the same materials.  If they were made of the same materials, then why don't Olympic archers shoot hunting bows?  Sorry, I'm not going to bite on your "finishing" story.  Tournament Bows are without a doubt more consistent in patterns.  Show me one hunting bow that can shoot a better pattern than a tournament bow and maybe I'll believe your statistics.  (you better be willing to travel and be sponsored well, because I'm not coming there).

If I can shoot the same bow I have had for years on end consistently, and harvest deer then I don't see what the problem is.  Is a Ferrari F-50 going to get me from point A to point B any better than a '92 Corsica?  Probably not, especially if the Corsica is taken care of, the F-50 is just going to cost me more, and maybe I'll look better in the woods, however I'm supposed to be camouflaged, so the deer shouldn't see me anyway.  The last time I checked, they don't write reports about bows and whatever else.  If you can't remain calm when you see a deer you want to shoot, then it doesn't matter what bow you have.  You could have Betty, the double barreled heat seeking shotgun, even Clyde missed Da Turdy Pointer.

Like stated before, keeping up with the Jones'.  Do what you want with your money, I would recommend taking care of what you have, and if it's not broke, don't fix it. 

As far as spending that much money, let's put it this way.  I would like to meet a person who shoots his archery equipment that often, that many times a day (in a row) and if he's not a practicing Olympic Shooter, he/she should be.  I'd even sponsor them, granted they were shooting a Tournament Bow.

You wouldn't happen to be from New York, would you?  If that's your shop, yes, I looked you up.  Sorry I guess I still feel pretty strong about the average joe, and most of the people who browse these forums that they don't shoot that often.  I understand the argument completely.  You want to be ready for every situation, know your group and everything else.  You can shoot 10 times, a year, and you can shoot 10 times a day, for the whole year, 3650 shots (I did the math correctly that time) except for leap years, then it's 3660 shots.  If you feel comfortable with what you have, there is no need to switch.  If you have money to blow, go for it.  Having the latest bow, every year isn't going to make you a better hunter, or harvest more deer.  I can guarentee you that.  Take a look at my comments about Slug guns, what I use for deer season.  Open sights, smooth bore, and yet, I still have success.  If you want to talk about comfort level's, having something for a long period of time is better than having something because Lee and Tiffany said it was the thing to have.  I guess I'm anti Mathews and anti Hoyt.  There products are over priced, and over televised.  I wouldn't shoot at a deer past 35 yards, per my comfort level and a post on these forums, so what's the need to get something that allows me to take a shot at over 50 yards anyway?  Who shoots that far?  People on TV, and people who want to be on TV. 

Anyway, I'm going to stand by my statement before.  There is no need to get a new bow, unless you are insecure, and have money to blow.  Then go for it, but I guarantee you, if that is your biggest worry...it won't help you harvest any more deer.

Edit:  I still stand by my you have to take .5 shots per day per year, for 5 years to reach that goal, and THAT, I would like to see someone do, because if they are hunting as much as they say they are, they aren't shooting that often then.  Especially if they are in WI.  Nobody shoots that much.  Next time you are out, remember how many times you shoot, and also, remember how often you shoot.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Tourney bows are more consistent because their SHOOTER is more consistent not because the bows are made from a different material. Tourney shooters are more consistent because the sighting mechanisms are more precise, peep holes are smaller, archer form is exacting, draw length is set properly and tuning is exact, both arrow and bow tuning.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 am

Anyway, I'm going to stand by my statement before.  There is no need to get a new bow, unless you are insecure, and have money to blow.  Then go for it, but I guarantee you, if that is your biggest worry...it won't help you harvest any more deer.

Thats not a fair statement. There are many advantages to getting a new rig. Some may not be major to you but to others they might make the difference.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 pm

There is no need to get a bow that often, the bows don't make that much of a difference year in and year out.  I can see someone who has been shooting the same bow for 15 years or so to get a new one, but if you get one every 3 years or so you're just going to be spending more money than it's worth.  Bows are a big investment, just like guns, cars, houses, boats you name it.  If you guys recommend getting a new one that often, like I said before, I'm hard pressed to believe that you aren't sponsored by a bow company, or you have a connection somewhere along the line.  Boats, cars, houses guns all get better each and every year too.  I'm sure you wouldn't recommend someone to get a new one of those every 3 years.  Just trying to be realistic, especially to the people who are newer to bowhunting.  There's no sense in giving them the impression, without taking a step back and actually thinking about it, that you need to purchase a new bow that often.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:11 am

You have a valid point, but there are alot of changes in 5 years. Ill be shooting my bow for a while. It just seems to me that the bows from 2003 seem alot different then todays bows. Maybe its just me but I think there has been some major technological changes.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't think getting a new bow every year has anything to do with needing it. It's just what some people "want" to do. If anyone can shoot a bow to death in one year they should consider a different brand. A new string every 2-3 years is all you need, if you take care of it.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting