Bowhunting Heavy Weight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Archeryz1

Bowhunting Heavy Weight

Postby Archeryz1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Bob Robb is just plain wrong in this article. First off his math is wrong, 350 gr @ 250fps =48.6 ft lbs not 45.2 . However, my main exception to this article is he is perpetuating one of archerys long running myths, heavier=better penetration. Being able to acurately hit what you are aiming at is absolutly the most important thing to do. This can be helped with higher arrow speed. The hardest thing an archer faces during a hunting shot is how far away is the animal. He states "a sloping trajectory isnt a problem" , how many of you have shot high or low on an animal? Oh wait there giant buck while I dig my range finder out! My personal hunting setup is a Ben Pearson Pit Bull at 72# with a 370gr arrow, I shoot 75gr Wasp heads and my arrows are going 325fps, this = 86.8 ft lbs and my arrows are stuck in the ground on the far side my deer covered in lung blood. The bear was also a pass thru.
Dan L

Blake Dandurand

RE: Bowhunting Heavy Weight

Postby Blake Dandurand » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:49 pm

speed vs. weight can be a long debated topic among us. i agree with you, that speed increases penetration, but also the weight of your arrow needs to coincide with your speed. After experimentation for advanced physics, it showed that there is actually a window of arrow weight which best performs with each level of arrow velocity. which is common sense in the world of archery, it is pretty much the same principle to matching spine with draw weight. there are different combinations to penetrate better at high velocities, and low velocities. again the velocities reflect the weight of pull of the bow, which then leads to the need to match the arrow with the draw weight of the bow. So it is a personal choice to which you decide to shoot.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:50 pm

by the way, nice bear!
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 am

Thats a nice Bear.
Arrow speed is thrown around way to loosely. IBO is measureed on a 70lb bow with a 30inch draw. My bows IBO is 310, but my bow is set at 60lbs and draw is 29inches= not 310
Bottom line a well placed arrow beats mass and speed any day.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:39 am

Bob Robb is just plain wrong in this article. First off his math is wrong, 350 gr @ 250fps =48.6 ft lbs not 45.2 . However, my main exception to this article is he is perpetuating one of archerys long running myths, heavier=better penetration. Being able to acurately hit what you are aiming at is absolutly the most important thing to do. This can be helped with higher arrow speed. The hardest thing an archer faces during a hunting shot is how far away is the animal. He states "a sloping trajectory isnt a problem" , how many of you have shot high or low on an animal? Oh wait there giant buck while I dig my range finder out! My personal hunting setup is a Ben Pearson Pit Bull at 72# with a 370gr arrow, I shoot 75gr Wasp heads and my arrows are going 325fps, this = 86.8 ft lbs and my arrows are stuck in the ground on the far side my deer covered in lung blood. The bear was also a pass thru.
Dan L

Your argument is kind of flawed...because you are shooting a heavier weight at faster speeds of coarse you are going to have better penetration then BOB????

penetration capibility is mesured by KENETIC energy...which is 1/2M(velocity)squared,

so it really is a combination of mass and velocity...there are also millions of combinations of the two,

to truly measure you have to know the exact speed of your arrow,(not the manufactures suggested speed either) and the exact weight of your arrow put it in the formula.

the one with the most KENETIC energy has the most penetration capabilities...

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 am

If you know your arrow weight and speed , you can figure out your KE with this chart .

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/
Semper Fi !

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 am

Thats a good link fasteddie, thanks for posting it.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:58 am

This is also not always true. how to explain this now???

If you are shooting an arrow set up that lets say is making 60lbs of KE but the arrow is incorrectly spined for your draw length/bow poundage you will end up with less penetration than a properly spined arrow with less KE.

Did i make any sense??
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 pm

For every bow that is set up correctly this is fact, yuo can argue a bunch of what if this is off, what if that is off but come on,

a bow that is properly tuned will have a consistent measurable KE 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:03 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56
a bow that is properly tuned will have a consistent measurable KE 

Yes I agree.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting