Bowhunting Heavy Weight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
danesdad

RE: Bowhunting Heavy Weight

Postby danesdad » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:38 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Thats a nice Bear.
Arrow speed is thrown around way to loosely. IBO is measureed on a 70lb bow with a 30inch draw. My bows IBO is 310, but my bow is set at 60lbs and draw is 29inches= not 310
Bottom line a well placed arrow beats mass and speed any day.

Totally agree.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

I hadn't read the article but will now that my oldest son brought it to my attention . He has a Black Widow recurve with footed shafts that he made . He has weighted inserts and is shooting heavy broadheads . His arrows are 700 grains .......... I wouldn't want to shoot anything that heavy (i don't think anyway) . He is a firm believer in Dr Ed Ashby's research on the subject of arrow penetration .
Semper Fi !

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 pm

Arrow speed is a lousy determiner of penetration. The same arrow shot at the same speed with a Magnus Buzz Cut will penetrate better than an arrow with a 3 Blade Thunderhead which in turn penetrates better than most mechanical heads. That said, any bow generating 60 lbs of Kinetic energy will kill all North American Game regardless of the broadhead used. Assuming all other factors are proper(tuning, accurate yardage, Shot Placement...etc) 

Archeryz1

Postby Archeryz1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:12 am

I think everyone kind of missed my point. Hitting what you are aiming at is the most important part. Energy is a distant 2nd. It just happens that speed helps both goals. Thanks for the compliments on the bear, I am planning to write an article this winter, will D&D hunting print a bear article?
PS. that is my bow speed through a cronograph

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:27 pm

sometimes you have to read articles with a grain of salt. in some cases, an article may have a slant where some things are just assumed, such as hitting where you are aiming. its pretty well known that any hunter worth his weight in salt will be well practiced and prepared before attempting a shot at an animal. so if the author assumes such things, they may just step beyond them to make another point.

nice bear, i'm hoping to one day take a bear with a bow.
I'm not sure that D&DH would print an article about a bear hunt. They take a lot of pride in devoting themselves to studying whitetail deer. But it always pays to ask, that's just my opinion, and I'm just an average joe reader, so I could be way off. good luck.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the bear, I am planning to write an article this winter, will D&D hunting print a bear article?
  If not, Try "Bowhunter" magazine.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

This is also not always true. how to explain this now???

If you are shooting an arrow set up that lets say is making 60lbs of KE but the arrow is incorrectly spined for your draw length/bow poundage you will end up with less penetration than a properly spined arrow with less KE.

Did i make any sense??
   Yes you did, I think, well, I dont know[sm=rolleyes.gif]! No, seriously though, I understand what your saying.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting