bow shooting delima

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
copester

bow shooting delima

Postby copester » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I have tried pulling a right handed bow and I feel like a girl throwing a ball. lol
So my question is this. Is there any sights or possibly red dot that would allow me to use a left handed bow?

trapperDave

RE: bow shooting delima

Postby trapperDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 am

drop the sights and learn instinctive, or shoot right handed till the awkwardness goes away.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:45 am

Pick a hand and practice, practice, practice. When I was a young cash strapped buck, all I could get my hands on was a left handed bow. I'm right handed / right eye dominant. After a while it became second nature. Not to mention it was fun to tell my buddies I could outshoot them left handed, and then do it! lol

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 pm

One of the problems with modern archery today is that the average archer immediately looks at HIS EQUIPMENT and a gadget to fix it whenever there's a problem. This is a solution for some issues, but most forget (or never learned) proper shooting form in the first place. I'm not saying that your form is the culprit here, but you may be able to adjust your form to adapt to it. It WILL take THOUSANDS of repetitions to ingrain it into your muscle memory.....yes, THOUSANDS. Whenever I tweak my form or shooting style, I start at the end of bow season, so I can give my self enough time to ingrain it. The draw/anchor/aim/release/follow through sequence should be burned so well into your muscle memory that you don't have to think about ANYTHING but focusing on the "spot". There's only one way to do this....practice.

Not only is this cheaper, but you will become a much better shot overall by working on your form. I shoot 10,000 to 12,000 practice arrows a year, and I begin a practice session by spending 5 minutes on nothing but form, much of which where I don't even release an arrow.

Based on some of the photos I see of the so-called "pro" bowhunters, I think they ALL could stand more form work!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 am

Well put Woodsie

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 am

Im right handed and right eye dominant, but learned to shoot left handed. It took some practice, but I can shoot either hand now just as comfortably. It took me about a hundred arrows to feel comfortable shooting the other hand, but after a couple weeks of practicing every day I could hardly tell the difference. I would just shoot right handed if you know for sure your right eye dominant, and youll get used to it. The other thing is that if you shoot with one eye closed, it doesnt matter which eye is dominant. That only really matters if you shoot two eyes open. I shoot one eye closed and dont worry about it, but a lot of guys shoot two eyes open, it just depends on your style.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm

You mean you keep one or both eyes open????

Well, hell! Maybe THAT'S why I can't hit a bull in the a** with a bass fiddle!!! [:D] [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:38 pm

If you continue to shoot with your left hand, you have to shoot with your right eye closed.

you'd probably be better off learning to shoot righty though
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am

There is a bow sight on the market that has a red dot on it and it is probably adjustable out to different yardages?Thing is You may need to check with your local State Laws to see if You can legaly use one...I'll see if I can locate the brand name of the sight...for some reason "Summit" comes to mind?You may also have to try wearing a patch over your right eye to see if You can get your left eye to be trained to look thru the peep sights on a Bow....they also make a wider peep sight so You can thru it easier.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Ihave the same problem. When I first startedshooting my pins were 5-6 incheslong to accomodate . I often could not find pins long enough.

Then I used a peep sight. Now I have regular pins normal length and all. Try this.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting