Speed or Power

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ranwin33

RE: Speed or Power

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 am

ORIGINAL: mag30079

I can't use one pin out to 30 either ranwin33, I'm at 60lbs with 29 in draw. Look on the bright side with the shorter draw, bow selection is easier.

That makes me feel better.  I always figured if I had a 29 or 30 inch draw length I might get enough speed to shoot one pin. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:13 am

I'll probably take flak for my comment but while I prefer a bit of both I'll take a little more speed over punch.  The bottomline is shot placement..get a double lung or heart shot and they will go down everytime, hopefully not far from where they were hit.  All the punch or passthrough in the world won't help you if your shot placement isn't there.  They may bleed out..or they may go and ya might not find them as was the case with a lousy shot I took.  I'll take the speed because as others suggested for the flatter trajectory out to 30 yrds.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Deanoz

You get no flak from me. What works for 1 may not work for others. Your right make a good shot and thats the main thing. Besides the Indians killed deer with sticks and rocks. Makes ya wonder

Southern Man

Postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:55 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

after checking out that calculator and plugging in my personal set up, i have to say that adding mass is the way to go, for me at least. best case scenerio is to add mass without sacrificing speed. however, if you just add mass to your arrows and do not change your bow, you will lose speed, thus decreasing your potential final kinetic energy. 

My point exactly. And the reason I changed my setup this year. I had a couple of guys that told me my bow wasn't fast enough to kill a deer. I killed 25 - 30 deer with that bow until I bought a new one. I used a cut on contact broadhead and never had a problem with passthrough. To each his own but I'll take a good heavy arrow anytime.
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:15 pm

jsut plugging #'s in that calculator wont do a bit of good if your not spined correctly.

Get your bow set up how it should be with the correctly spined arrows and then use that calculator.

It doesnt matter what the calc says you are getting for KE if your not correctly spined you wont get that or anywhere near that.

Just a heads up so people arent making decisions based solely on that calculator.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting