Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Demoderby4

RE: Buying a new bow

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I use a PSE and its my first year with a bow, i have enjoyed it so far, like was said above though, i thought it sounded a bit loud at first but after taking a shot at like 25 yards (i missed lol) the doe did not seem to hear it, it only took off after the arrow hit a branch and ducked right below her, PSE's have very affordable bows and i like mine! But i will try different models/makes after this bow just to see what suits me best. Good luck in your search!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 pm

I myself use a Hoyt Ultramag set at 55lbs with carbon Maxima 250 arrows. Along with Thunderheads, and the whisker biscuit, a nice setup.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Browning and PSE are the same bows essentailly, slight price variations. Keep that in mind when looking and ask if a comparable model is available in the other name brand.

Matthews excellent bow but you pay for all the marketing...The good thing is Matthews is THE major support of NASP, an internationally successful school archery program. That may add value to a Matthews purchase for you.

Martin gives you huge bang for the buck value

Check out Lakota Bows too. They are traditional 2 cam bows and basically custom made to your requirements.

Tons swear by the Fred Bear/Buckmasters bows, I have never cared for them, don't rule them out.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

Check out Lakota Bows too. They are traditional 2 cam bows and basically custom made to your requirements.

While your checking out lakota bows, take a look at the sarah-cuda.  A portion of all sales go to the national association for down syndrome. 

http://www.lakotacorp.com/Sarahcuda.aspx
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:51 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

While your checking out lakota bows, take a look at the sarah-cuda.  A portion of all sales go to the national association for down syndrome. 

http://www.lakotacorp.com/Sarahcuda.aspx

Glad you caught that, I was wondering if anyone would.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 pm

I really like Bear archery bows, mine hasnt let me down yet. It just has a good feel to it, but its personal opinion, the best way to decide is to go somewhere that has many selections and try them out....thats what I did until I came across the Bear Instinct and I loved this bow since I got it!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:14 am

I used to have a reflex, lower priced bow, made by Hoyt. Very good bow. I don't know about the newer models but may want to check them out.   On the PSE's, I have never owned one so not an expert but here is my problem with them. Hold the bow where you can look down at the cams. Look at the spacing on each side of cam to risers.  This may have been corrected with this years super bow, but in the past they used same risers for different priced bows and used washers to adjust which is why the spacing is relativley huge. In any mechanical device that is going to move with time. My 2 cents.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 am

I have heard, pick out a bunch of bows that you like. close your eyes and have the dealer give you a bow any bow, and shoot it at the target. You dont know what bow you are shooting, but you know what bow youll like the best.. Everyone is differnt when it comes to bows, myself I like Hoyt and Alpine. But then again someone might like a PSE or a Mathews. Where as I dont care for those two bows. It's all up to how you feel with the bow.Dont go on look's or on names.. For example:(Ill use a Mathews bow.) I really hate the people that buy a Mathews, just because its a "Mathews" and they want the most expensive thing there is. No offence to anyone who shoots a Mathews. I just hate it when someone says I just bought one cuz it was the most expensivest bow I could find, there for it will get me deer.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:27 am

I agree with you, so many great bows out there now with a wide price range. When I bought a new bow this year I went positive I was going to go with High Country Speed Force. Just wasn't for me, great specs and I am sure will get the job done but wasn't comfortable to me. I ended up with Bowtech which I had never considered. And that was after shooting Hoyt and Matthews. Like everyone has said, that is what felt best to me.

Washburn

Buying a new bow

Postby Washburn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:33 am

I've focused on deer gun (centerfire and muzzleloader) and bird hunting (grouse/woodcock/waterfowl) the past 15 years or so. For a variety of reasons I want to re-engage with bowhunting. In order to do so, I need to start over and buy a new bow.

I hunt whitetails on private, bigger woods in Wisconsin. Majority of my hunting is from treestands.

Looking for general advice here (a lot has changed since I was an active bowhunter). I am leaning towards Matthews, probably because I see alot about them in magazines and tv and they are a local company. I do plan on shooting a variety of bows before I make a decision.

I know opinions run hot and everyone has their favorite brand.

What bows should I consider?

Thanks.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting