Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
PrairieShadow

RE: Buying a new bow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:43 am

Working at a sporting goods store i got to shoot everything under the sun when tuning bows. Mathews was the smoothest quietest there was. Hoyt is also nice but they cost the same as the mathews (or real close)  id take the mathews over the hoyt any day of the week.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:07 am

Go to a store and try several - see which one fits you best.  The two bows I own have grips that fit well in my hand, I've tried others but the grips usually seem to large.  There is no use getting a Mathews, Hoyt, or any other brand based upon what other people buy, get one that fits you comfortably. 

As for me I have a Browning Illusion and a Diamond Black Ice - both have fairly narrow, small grips.  My brother has a Parker and I feel like the grip is too large. 

Once you are comfortable with the grip and axle-to-axle length of the bow, shoot it.  I like a bow without a lot of vibration.  Again my Illusion and Black ice don't have much, but my brother's Parker has quite a bit of handshock (for me), he says he doesn't feel it so I guess all things are different for every shooter.

Finally, don't go nuts on poundage.  Shoot something you can draw comfortably while sitting, it will mean less movement on your part once that big buck finally decides to walk in front of you on that cold winter day.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:09 am

I tell you i shot the new Mathews DXT
it is an incredible bow
its smooth it is dead on release and its quiet and fast
i would swear by that bow
or the mathews switchback
but definatly look into the DXT
your lookin at 800 bucks for the bow i got mine for 729

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:07 pm

You don't want to make a final decision on a new bow before shooting a Bowtech. I'd hate for you to feel like kicking yourself if someone let you shoot one after buying another brand.[;)] They have a model for everyone whether you are looking for speed, forgiveness, or silence.

One thing you will notice if you didn't shoot for a few years is that bows stopped trying to jump out of your hand with the parallel limb designs. Which ever brand you chose, make sure it has them.

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm

The best advise I can give would be to shoot as many different bows as you can, from there you will know which one is "right for you"! What I shoot(or anyone else for that matter) has absolutly no bearing on what you will end up buying! Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes, so as stated before, dont buy something just because somebody said "it's the best"!  The best bow for you is the one one that "fits" you better than the rest! Most (if not all) of the bow makers today are putting out quality products, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a great bow that fits you well!  One last thing, (like Ranwin said) dont go nuts with weight, you dont "need" a 70# bow to hunt whitetail!  In fact, a 50# compound will take down most big game in North America!   In other words, shoot whats comfortable. Good luck in your search, and happy huntin!!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 pm

I agree with what Paulie said . Try some different bows and go with the one that feels good . A lot a guys will trash talk different bow companies and that has always been a turnoff for me . There are a lot of excellent bow manufacturers out there and all their bows have merit !
Semper Fi !

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 pm

More important than the bow you choose is learning to use it properly and that it fits you properly. Find a reputable, knowledgeable teacher not your buddy from the range(Unless he is a certified instructor).

You have a long learning curve and proper draw length, proper draw technique, proper anchoring, proper tuning, etc are critical to your proficenciy

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:24 am

Thanks for the responses and advice. I do plan on shooting a variety of bows before making a decision. I am not hung up on weight. Back in the day I shot a 45# Bear recurve and took deer with it so I know there are more important considerations than weight.
I am short (5'7") but strong, so to me I want a bow that fits my shorter draw length. And, I want a lightweight, short bow that I can quietly maneuver sitting down in my tree stand. Thanks again everybody.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:32 am

I shot a ross cardiac a few months ago, that bow shot great, i was ready to buy it until i shot a bowtech guardian. i ended up going with the bowtech. quiet, smooth, zero hand shock, it was great. ive been shooting it and hunting with it, awesome bow, shoots perfectly. i had a martin before that, it was a lower end model, it was OK. I hear the higher end martins are really good, but ive never owned one. i also had a hoyt a few years ago, that also was a great bow. im sure hoyt are just as good or better than they were back when i had mine. i shot the bear truth II at the store, didnt care for that bow a whole lot. it was nice, but not as nice as the bowtech or the ross. ive never shot the X-force by PSE, but i would like to, they are supposed to be really fast but also pretty good shooting in other aspects. mathews has a new bow coming out soon that is supposed to shoot 360 fps IBO. speed isnt everything, but that would be the fastest bow on the market to date that i have seen advertised anyway. i dont think you can go wrong with a mathews. i havent actually shot one, but all i hear is good things about them.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:38 am

that is just me tho i like the mathews
you r best bet would be to go down to your sporting goods store and shoot every brand of bow
bnuy the bow that best fits you
the one you like the most not what other people like
every person is different

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting