Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MD Lease

RE: buying a new bow

Postby MD Lease » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I am really gonna do some research here in the offseason and weigh my options. We dont have a lot of money so I'm still saving up some money. Hopefully sometime before June I will have enough. Haha

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm

ORIGINAL: ishman

I would definitly buy one from a local dealer. Most of them know what they are doing with them and can answer any questions you have. I would make sure i shot one before i bought it. You may be suprised that some of the cheaper bows are every bit as good as the big name expensive bows. If your limit is 800 bucks, a mathews will use all that up plus some. Check out their other line of bows, Mission. They are still mathews quality at a little cheaper price.

I echo ishman's post.  Mission is basically the same as Mathews without the sticker shock.  Go to a local Mathews dealer and they should also carry Mission.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 pm

have you looked at pse bows they make excellent equiptment and they stand behind their product very well my son bought a pse when i bought my ben pearson i have since gone to a crossbow due to health reasons my son still has his pse hank k

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Hank,

what kind of Pearson bow did you get?  my bow is a Ben Pearson Diesel HD with split limbs and parallel cams. I'd never actually heard of this company until a buddy of mine who works in our local bow shop hooked me up with the bow.  I got it brand new in the box (an '05 model in '07) for $280... no accessories.  Still thought i was getting a steal, and I absolutely LOVE the bow.  it's fast, quiet, and very forgiving when it comes to shooting form, in my experience.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 am

i bought that bow over 15 years ago i gave it to a person who wanted to try bow hunting when i became disabled about 6 years ago the bow was bought new from a local archery shop it cost more than the price of a pse at that time it killed a lot of deer for out to 30 yards i could keep a 2 in group that far since ive become disabled im shooting a barnett quad 400 and im now accurate out to 40 yards hank k ben pearson was a tv personality back in the early days of hunting shows his son now does all the promotion

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I cant speak for Cabela's service becuase there are none local to me.  It looks like you are buying your first bow. My advice, hit a reputable local shop and shoot them all picking out the one that feels the best to you, not the one everyone says is the best. Get it sized to you and set up right. You may pay a little more at a small shop but in the long run it will be worth it. Alot of local shops will offer you a free lesson, range time etc. If your not experienced enough to tinker with stuff on your own their help is invaluable. If I buy a bow from the local shop and have a problem during the season my bow gets worked on before someone off the street gets his Ebay special worked on.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting