Bowhunting Jacket Advice Needed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Patriot

Bowhunting Jacket Advice Needed

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Hey everyone,
I need your advice on a new bowhunting jacket.  I consistantly have had issues with puffy jackets getting in the way of my string.  I've tried different kinds of arm guards (like the Team Realtree "sock" the best) and always cock my arm as well.

What have you found to be a good bowhunter jacket in terms of minimul bulk, cost, scent control, etc?  I would like something that would keep me warm from 20-65 degrees with minimul bicep / forearm bulk.

Please list brandnames and prices. 

Thanks!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

OHhunter

RE: Bowhunting Jacket Advice Needed

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I wear a heavyweight fleece, with a good base layer.  If below twenty I put a fleece vest on under my fleece.  The vest help keep my core cool while not adding bulk to my arms.  It's a great layering tool for bowhunters.  I still use " the sock" to help prevent interference.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:01 pm

I've seen the Bow Hunters Jackets advertised from *NaturalGear,they are suppose to be a little tighter for Bow Hunters to use and not get in the way.I'm not sure if they come in the scent blocker style but you could check them out?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks fellas!  I'll check into the heavy fleece idea.  Any particular brand you recommen?

Anyone else?  This has caused me great anxiety over the years.   I have to find a good jacket for cold weather.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:14 pm

I believe mine is made by mossy oak, but I could be wrong.  I've used it for years.  I know the vest is by mossy oak.  If it wasn't sealed up, de-scented and outside I'd check it out for you. They have some that are wind shear, I thought about checking into them, it's about time for a new one.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:27 am

I got the scentblocker dream season jacket and love it. The fabric makes no noise, pockets are well designed with the bowhunter in mind, good scent control, and made well. It comes with a built on armguard that works perfect. Its a little more than most but will last you. I like mine and would buy another set when needed. Just my 2 cents!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 am

I wear wool! Old-school, heavy, army surplus wool. I have a sweater that will get me down into the upper 40's, and a button up jacket that I use when it's colder than that. It is quiet and fairly thin.

My outer layer is a Scent Lok Dakota top. It is thin, cammoflage and carbon lined.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:15 am

I like for the colder weather the wool jacket and bibs the wool is thin not bulky and will keep you warm in any weather..I have hunted late season in northern wis when the weather is 20 below you will not get cold in wool.

Wool also will not get wet as fast when hunting in a snow storm as fleece will, and dries quicker than Fleece. Fleece is great for early oct through early nov but when it gets cold you will run into the same problem with bulk because you will have to layer again.. with wool you usually need or at least for me just long underwear and a shirt.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:37 am

I have a fleece hood that I wear all the time, any weather - it sheds water well, blocks the wind, and dries quickly.  If I combine it with longjohns and a flannel shirt I can stay out all day in 0 degree temps.  My feet will get cold before anything else.

If you're having problem with string slap you may want to check your draw length, that more than anything might be the problem.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 am

Ok truth I've never shot Compound.But I've found shooting Recurve if I go with lighter Draw where I'm not holding my arm so straight I have no need for even an Arm Guard and I can wear a Heavy Coat.

oneshot

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting