broadheads affecting arrow flight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
shadow

RE: broadheads affecting arrow flight

Postby shadow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:53 am

glcMi, I'm sure some of the guy's commenting her have more technical bow experience than me, and all gave great advice I would use, but I also found that like was said.. try many different broadheads. Try your friends, go in with any buddies and buy some to cut down on costs but try as many as you can. For me I found that using Muzzy 3-blade broadheads worked the best. After experimenting with many others. I also liked the price on the Muzzy's.
And I have also found although it wasn't mentioned, that aligning the fletches of the arrow with the 3-blades on the broadhead also makes it shoot better, it works for me.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:48 am

ORIGINAL: shadow

And I have also found although it wasn't mentioned, that aligning the fletches of the arrow with the 3-blades on the broad head also makes it shoot better, it works for me.

Ive heard this before but don't buy it. I'm not saying it didn't work for you shadow or that it doesn't work, I just don't understand how it can. If you have any helical on your fletchings(which you should) the fletching will not be going through the same air as the broad heads. How can this help? Someone please explain.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 am

I had a pretty big difference between broadhead flight and field point flight with my old bow. It was tuned as good as it was going to be tuned, and it grouped very well. But I still had to adjust my sight to fit my broadheads, and different broad heads flew a little differently.

I had always heard that a perfectly tuned bow would shoot a broad head just like a field tip, and I never really believed it. Then I got a new bow, and that changed my mind. I had previously shot a cheaper, lower grade bow. It was a great bow, but it was inexpensive, and we all know that to a point, you get what you pay for. My new bow is a higher end bow, the best I could afford. The difference is like night and day. Right from the bow shop I came home and started shooting perfect groups at 40 yards with my fixed blade heads. Better yet, my arrows flew exactly like my field tips. I practiced all summer out to 60 yards and never once had to adjust my sight, no matter what heads I had on my arrows. I shot a couple different kinds of fixed blades, muzzy MX3, MX4, and G5 montecs, field tips, and some mechanicals, and they all shoot exactly the same out of my bow.
So with the right set up, you definitely can get the same impact with different types of heads on your arrows. some set ups, you will just need to adjust your sight. All you can do is make sure your bow is tuned up, see how it shoots, and make sure your pins are set for your broad heads.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:56 am

i also shoot an older bow,golden eagle,easton 2314's ,magnus broadheads. i have to tweak mine also, because field tips would fly difft. from my broadheads.now i just keep 3 heads for target shooting,that are dull broadheads. it does take a toll on da target though!my buddy plunked down 500 bucks for a new pse ,and he out shoots me everytime,BUT,when we go hunting he;s missed more deer than anyone i know! i consistently drop em and they go in da freezer.remember how guys were killing deer before these new bows and fancy carbon arrows,range finders, and, $broadheads??its always about-shot placement,sharp tips!it always will b! nothing at all wrong with the new bows,arrows,etc.--but my set-up still KNOCKS EM' DOWN--[:D]--5BUCK

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 am

you know
what type of broad heads are you shooting
a lot of the old fixed broad heads fly differently
i used the rage broad heads this year and the were great
i also used the slick tricks fixed broad heads
just an idea

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:48 am

ya a bad broadhead wouldnt make it be off that much
how do your field tips fly are they still dead nuts

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Goose...I wish I could explain, however if my broadhead blades are not aligned with my fletches, and they do have a 4 degree offset, they will not hit the same spot as my fieldtips.

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Goose...I wish I could explain, however if my broadhead blades are not aligned with my fletches, and they do have a 4 degree offset, they will not hit the same spot as my fieldtips.

Mossberg535

Postby Mossberg535 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I practice with my field points only, then durring hunting season, I switch over to some nap mechanical broadheads at the same grain as my field tips. When I shoot these at deer, they fly just like the Field points, and I have never had a problem. So I guess I am just saying that if a tune up doesn't work, you should try to just use mechanical as they will fly more like the ones you practice with.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:23 pm

i posted something like this before on here. mechanicals should not affect arrow flight that much, its the fixed blades that are the killers, the only way ive found that works, which we have tested on many people is ....

to shoot a field tip, then a broad head. see where they hit. some people do not have to make any adjustments. if they are off though, the best way to do it, as ive learned over the years is to adjust your knocking point and your rest accordingly. you want to bring the arrows together. your bow should be sighted in with the field tip already, so adjusting the sights is not called for. when you shoot your broad head, if it hits away from the arrow with the field tip, you must change the knocking point (up or down) and the rest (left or right) accordingly. same way you would move your sight, just this time, your knocking point and ur rest. trust me, it works. it takes a lot of time to get it down right, but it truely is amazing when you shoot a group with field tips and fixed blades

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting