MODIFIED Rage 3's

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
PrairieShadow

MODIFIED Rage 3's

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:11 am

I was working in the garage today and saw the rage 3 that i had used to take a deer with back in early Nov laying on the work bench still with only 1 blade deployed.

Once again i could feel my blood boiling because if its poor performance.

I went and got a new on out and tried to make it deploy just by pressing the blades straight back against the edge of the work bench. I COULD NOT put enough force on the blade pushing straight back to deploy the blade. However if i pushed in on the blade ever so slightly it would pop right open. I got to looking and figured that if i took the file and filed the scup that locks the blade onto the o-ring that this would make the blade open much easier.

Well it sure seems to have worked. I may have a problem with the blades opening in the quiver but i will bet that they will all open when it connects with a deer.

Hopefully i will be able to give a report on the mod later this week!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

RE: MODIFIED Rage 3's

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:45 am

But in doing so won't you run the risk of them deploying in flight?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 am

I dont believe so as i havent filed off much. Im going to do a little testing with a buddy and see if we can figure out if they are deploying in flight or not. They still lock in but ust not so tight.

The way i look at it is they are no good to me the way they are and Rage doesnt respond to emails so if they end up not working out for me ill just throw them in the trash cause that is what they are as they come in the package.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:18 am

i dunno
i mean both of my rage broad heads deployed beutifully when they hit my two deer
thats weird i mean i know the grim reapers i used to use were tough to open
but i think im going to switch to the 2 blade broad heads
i know a great mechanical broad head
they are the slick tricks try using them they fly amazing

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:24 am

Just throwing this out there but they had a recall on the three's last year ---- (for what i don't remember...but i think it was for the problem you describe)  I remember seeing comparison contrast photos of that general area on the broad head.....  Any chance you got a set from old stock?  Bought them last year?

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:22 am

i use the rage two blades. the 3 blade models were recalled last year, or the year before maybe, i dont remember. anyway, i dont know what the problem was, but just the 3 blade models were recalled for some reason. i would just go with the two blade. bigger hole, more penetration, simpler design, no reason i see to mess with the 3 blades if you have to modify them when the 2 blade models work just as good (i think better) with no modification. anyone i have talked to that have problems with the rage have problems with the 3 blade, i dont personally know anyone who has trouble with the 2 blade models. thats not to say there are no problems, but i have used them for a couple years and know some other guys who have used them too, and no one has ever had any problems with them.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 am

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

i use the rage two blades. the 3 blade models were recalled last year, or the year before maybe, i dont remember. anyway, i dont know what the problem was, but just the 3 blade models were recalled for some reason. i would just go with the two blade. bigger hole, more penetration, simpler design, no reason i see to mess with the 3 blades if you have to modify them when the 2 blade models work just as good (i think better) with no modification. anyone i have talked to that have problems with the rage have problems with the 3 blade, i dont personally know anyone who has trouble with the 2 blade models. thats not to say there are no problems, but i have used them for a couple years and know some other guys who have used them too, and no one has ever had any problems with them.

The 3 blade models were recalled due to some of the blades having rounded shoulders on the front where they contact the hide and were not deploying. That problem has been fixed. The 3 blade actually gets better penetration according to Rage's website.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 am

really they were recalled last year
i didnt know that...but like i said i have not had any problems with them this year
it might have been the reason there was a recal

Return to Archery and Bowhunting