rage reviews

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
howhill1

rage reviews

Postby howhill1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm

i keep hearing all the praises about the rage broadheads. the qeustion i have isnt meant to ruffle feathers as i beleive evreyones accounts. a post on another thread made curious. i want to hear the horror stories about these heads. i know they're out there. im not looking to dis-credit anyone or anything i just wnat to know as much as i can about a product before i expend the expense and switch from something that has worked for years.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Highlander Archery

RE: rage reviews

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:40 pm

If it aint broke don't fix it. I and many friends have used the Snyper/Rage broadheads with no complaints. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Not exactly a horror story, but the simple truth. I have shot 7 deer with the Sniper, 125 gr. 2-blade.

Of those 7 shots, 4 failed to pass-through. 2 of those left scant blood trails.

The irony is that the one deer that I lost with these heads was a top-to-bottom complete pass, that only cut one lung. That doe left good blood for 760 yards (according to Google Earth) before I lost the trail.

This season I have moved from a wisker biscut and 2117 aluminum shaft with 125 gr. Snipers to a drop away with carbons and a 100 gr. Rage-2. I have high expectations.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 am

I have only lost one deer (out of 6 - 4 pass through - 2 burried in the opposite shoulder) that i shot with the rage / snyper broadheads.  On that deer, i achieved a complete pass through.  I am almost certain it was lung blood (The angle made it possible, though not likely that i could catch only one lung - i obviously tried not to have this happen)  Anyhow, good blood for 80 yards....shot it at dark, 1 hour after dark it starts to rain (not even forecasted).  Rains just enough to destroy all sign left by the deer.  He made it to about an 80 acre overgrown field, nearly all multi-flora rose.  I searched for the next 2 days on my knees and kept a vigilant lookout for buzzards / crows....

While i am not certain, i would bet this deer was dead within that field, i just couldn't find it.  The rain played a part, the shot placement played a part, the terrain played a part...but i have no doubt all things being the same, another broadhead would have performed the same.

I have no problem with the fixed blade broadheads.  I do have a problem with other types of mechanicals (their design definately has flaws and i am no engineer).  I really like the Rage and their design (real deploy - slip cam) simply makes sense.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:38 am

Over the weekend, I happened to run into a NY ECO that I know pretty well. When talk turned to archery, he mentioned that as far as he was concerned, the Rage qualified as an illegal barbed broadhead as relates to his interpretation of NY conservation law.

His opinion was unsolicited by me as we were talkin about products in general sold in local sporting goods stores that he considered illegal in NY

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 am

Interesting, and i never thought of a rage as a barb but now that you mention it, yeah it would have that effect wouldnt it!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:57 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Over the weekend, I happened to run into a NY ECO that I know pretty well. When talk turned to archery, he mentioned that as far as he was concerned, the Rage qualified as an illegal barbed broadhead as relates to his interpretation of NY conservation law.

His opinion was unsolicited by me as we were talkin about products in general sold in local sporting goods stores that he considered illegal in NY

I love New York! I was born there and most of may family is still there.

But...their hunting regs to be some of the most arbitrary and confusing stuff I have ever read. I have seen other posts that indicate that the Rage 2 is illegal in NY.

Gee... a broadhead that flies more accuartely and causes larger wounds, thus bringing about a more efficient and humane kill? Let's outlaw it! [8|]

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 am

Yeah there is some strange stuff but I don't know if NY wins the trophy or not [;)] I've always thought that an attorney was required to understand PA game law.

It is the way that the profile of the rage (and other mechs) essentially classifies it as a barbed broadhead which puts it at odds with NY law.

It's of no consequence to me as I choose which broadheads I think are the best just like everyone else. For me, one more unattractive aspect of mechs. Just MO though.

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 am

I am obviously from NY and I shoot rage 2 blades. I was and still am under the impression that the 3 blades are illegal and the 2 blades are not. Right in the regulation book there is a pic of the rage 2 blade with the blades folded completely forward as an example of a legal broadhead. The 3 blades do not fold back easily but the 2 blades do.  I have never talked to an ECO about this but people  I work with (a Dicks Sporting goods) have and this is what they were told. As far as I can understand from the regulation book the rage 2 blades are not illegal. But I am not sure now that i read this post.... As far as horror stories. Alot of my buddies shoot them and the farthest recovery distance is 50 yards. Most being between 10-20yds. Nothing horrible about that... except for the deer of course.  

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 am

once the two blade deploys, it can fold back on itselt...it is not a locking mechanism that would create a 'barb'.  I am not sure of the three blade, haven't had one in my hands in a long time.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting