rage reviews

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Squirrelhawker

RE: rage reviews

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 am

ORIGINAL: NYSupersportsman

I am obviously from NY and I shoot rage 2 blades. I was and still am under the impression that the 3 blades are illegal and the 2 blades are not. Right in the regulation book there is a pic of the rage 2 blade with the blades folded completely forward as an example of a legal broadhead. The 3 blades do not fold back easily but the 2 blades do.  I have never talked to an ECO about this but people  I work with (a Dicks Sporting goods) have and this is what they were told. As far as I can understand from the regulation book the rage 2 blades are not illegal. But I am not sure now that i read this post.... As far as horror stories. Alot of my buddies shoot them and the farthest recovery distance is 50 yards. Most being between 10-20yds. Nothing horrible about that... except for the deer of course.  

Not sure about this, but a non-issue for me. However, I have a good deal of experience with using and reading NY conservation law and know how they use it. I know for a fact that the state uses the "vagueness" of game law to their advantage when they choose to.

Different ECO's get to interpret law on the scene the way they want sometimes. This can be a good thing when they are trying for example, to legitimately nail some slippery poacher. Or a bad thing when, during a routine check some young and or over zealous ECO decides to try and make case law history.

I know of one incidence of an ECO watching some duck hunters AFTER checking their paperwork, and sitting in his vehicle with the book open on his lap looking for possible violations

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:08 am

This will be my second year using rage broadheads, 3 deer all complete pass throughs, 1 coyote should have been a complete pass through but it staked him to the ground.  I have had the two blades open up while on the arrow rest and in the quiver.  I have not had any issues like this with the 3 blade design. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:48 am

My experience was similar to JPH.  I use Rage 3's and had two shots on two seperate deer.  I will say upfront my issues were due to poor shot placement.  The first was an 8 point buck.  Hit him past the ribcage but forward of the hind area.  The arrow did not pass through, saw it in him as he bolted past my stand.  Poor blood trail which we followed for a couple hundred yards and lost him.  Second shot was on a Doe at less than 15 yrds, shot her centered just behind the front shoulder, passed right through her, blades fully deployed.  Blood trail was better than the first, but nothing like what others have reported.  Tracked her for 300 yds, jumped her once and then she collapsed.  Upon further examination it looked like she was slightly quartering towards when I took the shot, so I nicked one of her lungs (barely) and it ended up being more of a gut shot.  Entrance/exit wounds and wound channel were huge, only problem was her entrails were clogging the exit wound, hence the light blood trail.  When it comes to the rage's I believe they perform as advertised, but as I said before they are not a panacea for bad shot placement.  Hit them in the vitals broadside or quartering away and they are going down fast.

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Squirrelhawker,
This is what scares me about this now. I know how ECO's can interperet the laws how they want. I only have 4 more days of hunting left this bow season. I like the rage but I think I will switch to a FB next year. Thaks for the info and good luck!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Looking to me like not much for complaints except the blades opening up in the quiver.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:16 pm

I know I wont be shooting rage anymore. junk isnt even a word I could use to describe them. Had them goof on me on a coyote a few weeks ago. Then I shot a doe at 18yrds today. Hit her real hard. I thought she was going down right there. She jumped up twice and let out two loud growls. She feel to the ground hit a tree bounced up and let out another growl. She stagerd around for about 5 feet before running off. I figured that she wouldnt go far, as I could hear crashing all through the woods before a sudden crash. Got down and went home for good light. Came back 2 hrs late with a buddy. Couldnt find any blood where I hit her. So I walked where I had last seen her. I found specks of blood, where she crossed a ditch. We followed that on our hands and knees for about 3 hours before calling it quits. Not the blood I would have thought she would have left. And the way she acted after I hit her, I figured she wouldnt have gone far... It looked like a good hit, I know in the heat of the moment its hard to tell at times. But I got a good look at her, while she was in front of me stagering around.  Ill be going back to the G5'S.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:21 pm

movin parts just give me the heebees. im a k.i.s.s.(keep it simple stupid) type of guy. the rave reviews ive heard made wonder if there were any from the other side of the coin. unfortunatley just a few is all it takes to make me stay with what ive seen work for about 15 years. i have no doubt that the rages do what they and everyone says they do...but the fact that they dont do it 100% of the time doesnt at this time give a distinct advantage over what i use now. i do thank everyone for they're input.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Deercamp, any possibility of a shoulder blade? Not saying you did, Ive just heard of reactions like that after a shoulder blade hit.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:13 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I know I wont be shooting rage anymore. junk isnt even a word I could use to describe them. Had them goof on me on a coyote a few weeks ago. Then I shot a doe at 18yrds today. Hit her real hard. I thought she was going down right there. She jumped up twice and let out two loud growls. She feel to the ground hit a tree bounced up and let out another growl. She stagerd around for about 5 feet before running off. I figured that she wouldnt go far, as I could hear crashing all through the woods before a sudden crash. Got down and went home for good light. Came back 2 hrs late with a buddy. Couldnt find any blood where I hit her. So I walked where I had last seen her. I found specks of blood, where she crossed a ditch. We followed that on our hands and knees for about 3 hours before calling it quits. Not the blood I would have thought she would have left. And the way she acted after I hit her, I figured she wouldnt have gone far... It looked like a good hit, I know in the heat of the moment its hard to tell at times. But I got a good look at her, while she was in front of me stagering around.  Ill be going back to the G5'S.

A cannot get on a fix on where you hit her or if the arrow passed through her. What do you think the Rage failed to do that a FB would have done?

I'm not here to defend the Rage (until they start paying me [;)]), just wondering.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:46 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Deercamp, any possibility of a shoulder blade? Not saying you did, Ive just heard of reactions like that after a shoulder blade hit.

And I can see that scenario having a negative effect with a mech. I can't think of a tougher situation where penetration, arrow speed, deflection, and collateral damage (if any) intersect. Things happen. And they happen to the best of us. Personally, I just plan on it happening to me [:D]

I've said it before but as long as we're talkin about shoulder blades, my pro-shop guy is right on when he states: when they're standing broadside to you and you have a clear ribcage shot, you can almost kill them with a sharp stick, but anything else.. not so much.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting