Thumb Release??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Highlander Archery

RE: Thumb Release??

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Yeah it made me sick paying for it but I sure do love it.

LOL, yeah they aint priced for the faint of heart.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:05 pm

I switched to a thumb release about five years ago because I would do drive by shootings with a finger release. I now shoot a Carter Insatiable for hunting and indoor leagues. Works great with back tension. When you buy one, you may want to shred the receipt before your wife/girlfriend sees it.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Lol. I cant find any here locally but I need one. I use an old bow with a draw length of 30, My draw needs to be around 26-28. Anyhoo... It makes a huge difference for me. I just dont seem to get the same power with my shot with the wrist or glove releases.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 pm

They are actually called back tension releases. although they are a variation of the concept they are easier for inexperienced users to get the right shooting form and proper muscle usage. If you tried using a real back tension release without practicing on a simulated bow(Sling shots are a good one) you would punch yourself in the mouth.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Lol. Funny visual ;)

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 am

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

Lol. I cant find any here locally but I need one. I use an old bow with a draw length of 30, My draw needs to be around 26-28. Anyhoo... It makes a huge difference for me. I just dont seem to get the same power with my shot with the wrist or glove releases.

That would be because you are forced to properly pull through the shot, keeping proper tension on the string at full draw. With a wrist strap you cannot always tell if you are pulling through properly.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:17 am

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

Lol. Funny visual ;)

Great for all the guys watching on the range and real good for dentists kids' college funds.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Using this release I am alot more comfortable at full draw and everything just feels and looks right.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Then you are doing things the right way. Welcome to the world of back tension.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:38 pm

The proper way to shoot back tension with fingers is to work you back muscles while relaxing your fingers. This causes the bow string to push your fingers out of its way making for a much more consistent release.

( Stated because someone will ask)

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting