Bow vs Gun History

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ARROWSMITH

Bow vs Gun History

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 am

The following was a quote made by another hunter on a completely different subject that I found to be interesting.

"All the serious bowhunters I know (in fact, if you think about it, I don't think one can even BE a bowhunter without being serious about it!) are usually very efficient and successful gun hunters"

The reason I find this interesting is, that it applies to every bowhunter I know, except me.  I never shot a deer with a gun until last season. I have killed many with a bow over the years however. I'm NOT an accomplished or sucessfull gun hunter, although I have hunted squirrels, and other varments as a child, as an adult I've been almost strictly a bow hunter.

Mabye it was the way that I got into archery first then bowhunting second. I used to be a big dart player, I played in a few tournaments, won a few games and so on. 

Several years ago a buddy of mine got me to try shooting a bow. From the first time I did, I thought MAN this is darts on crack!! and started from there.

So the question is.  Are there any others out there like me who were NOT gun hunters before they were bow hunters?  If so how?

scottflesher

RE: Bow vs Gun History

Postby scottflesher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Arrowsmith,
I first began hunting (gun) at a very young age (junior high). After 3-4 seasons, I began bow hunting, but not with much seriousness (not sure if that's a word [:)])

Now i'm primarly a bowhunter. I would say that I agree with that statement but it is based on a level of intrepretation. For me, spending extra time in the woods during bow season, made me a better hunter overall. Things like judging distance (this was pre-rangefinder days), judging wind direction, observing deer mannerisms, walking quieter, etc.
So yes I think bowhunters are better sportsman overall. I'm sure there exceptions to this rule, but anytime you spend additional time in the woods hunting, you would expect to enhance your skills, especially if you are serious about hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 pm

"All the serious bowhunters I know (in fact, if you think about it, I don't think one can even BE a bowhunter without being serious about it!) are usually very efficient and successful gun hunters"

That was my quote, and after reading your response I think an edit is in order......

All the serious bowhunters I know, WHO ALSO GUN HUNT, (in fact, if you think about it, I don't think one can even BE a SUCCESSFUL bowhunter without being serious about it!) are usually very efficient and successful gunhunters also.

I also know a handful of VERY good deer hunters who bowhunt only, as well as a few guys who only gun hunt who can make the rest of us look like pikers when it comes to killing big deer on a regular basis. What both of these groups have in common is dedication and a VERY intimate knowledge of the ground they hunt. I would also add that both of these types of hunters do NOT look like they stepped off the pages of the last Cabela's catalog or the most recent edition of D&DH either. Very basic, minimal gadget, old/mixed camo, or none at all. Their best weapons are experience and knowledge.

I was talking to one of these guys once about why it seemed like he knew where the deer on his ground would go before even they knew it, and he smiled and said that,

"Well, I've been hunting this ground for 35 years, and I usually am out there 30 to 40 days a year, so if you add that up, then I've been in these woods LONGER than the average deer that lives here!"

The gentleman in this case also LIVED where he hunted also, which makes a BIG difference.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:03 pm

WW,

Thanks, I left your name out intentionally so as no to offend. About the guy who spends so much time in the woods.  He is right! I have also read other commentary on this site about how as bowhunters we get to see so much more than most gun hunters.

I think it is because we can't shoot an animal 200 yds away, and the fact that we do have to spend more time doing what we do.(i.e. longer seasons) Since I began bowhunting, I have seen some of the really cool things that God put here for us, up close.

I made a post earlier today for someone wanting to know about scent lok clothing, in which I was telling them that last year I had a fully grown doe come and lay down right against my hunting blind. How many gun hunters get that privilege?

I had another instance last year when I was hunting in a ghili suit were an adult doe came so close to me while I was standing in a open field that when she snorted, I could feel here breath on my arm. How cool is that!!!?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:41 pm

I had another instance last year when I was hunting in a ghili suit were an adult doe came so close to me while I was standing in a open field that when she snorted, I could feel here breath on my arm. How cool is that!!!?

I've had similar experiences with my ghillie suit while hunting. "COOL" doesn't describe it! It's a completely different hunting experience than you'll ever have in a tree. Don't get me wrong, a treestand is a great way to hunt, and I've killed a pile of deer from one. But since I really learned how to us the ghillie and to trust it, it has literally changed the way I hunt.

It's almost impossible to put it into words for those that have never had the close experience with wildlife that this can bring you. Suffice to say, I have lost all desire to go back up a tree, and I haven't for the past 7 years now. I'm addicted!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:59 am

ORIGINAL: ARROWSMITH

"About the guy who spends so much time in the woods. He is right! I have also read other commentary on this site about how as bowhunters we get to see so much more than most gun hunters.

I think it is because we can't shoot an animal 200 yds away, and the fact that we do have to spend more time doing what we do.(i.e. longer seasons) Since I began bowhunting, I have seen some of the really cool things that God put here for us, up close."

As an avid gun hunter for 18 years, and bow hunter for 4 years, I've had incredible encounters doing both. Just because I use a rifle doesn't mean that I shoot as soon as a deer is 200 yards away! I hunt with a rifle much the same way as with a bow - tree stand, ground blind, calling, etc. I don't think it matters what type of weapon a person chooses to use, its all about having patience and what the hunter wants to experience. I have friends who only shoot rifle/muzzleloader and put in just as much time as I do bow hunting.

Just my opinion

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:14 pm

ORIGINAL: ARROWSMITH

........I thought MAN this is darts on crack!! and started from there.............

I was hooked early. My brother and I converted some back yard landscaping into home made bows & arrows. We then got some of the 15 & 25 pound bows and had a blast.

I started hunting when I was 13. The camp that I gun hunted in was very opposed to bowhunters, but I had an Uncle close by who let me bow hunt his farm. So, after I saved up enough to buy a bow, I was off to the races.
From those who much is given, much is expected

ramsay12344

Postby ramsay12344 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I will be a bowhunter(Once I finish making my bow. Im tillering it next.).
Ive never used a gun to hunt.

At this point in my life I would like to take a deer using primitive materials and methods which rules out firearms.

Maybe in the future Ill "upgrade" to a firearm for hunting, but I doubt it.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting