New Hunter needs Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

RE: New Hunter needs Advice

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 am

Before you use tree pegs make sure you can use them on public land, in some spots you can not use them because they can damage trees. If your thinking about doing something like just sitting on a branch you might want to look into chain ons. You should be able to pick one up for under 50 bucks. They can be pretty portable and will be better and safer than sitting on a branch.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:24 pm

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

I appreciate the help more than you know. I have already incorporated alot of the advice I have recieved, and honestly feel more confident every time out. Didnt get out today which bothered me, seemed like a perfect morning to be out, but gonna try tomorrow morning. I have no idea where to start knocking on doors about private land, and isnt it too late to be knocking anyway? Well maybe since shotgun season hasnt started and thats when hunters come out of the woodworks ;)

Also, ladder stand... arent those the permanent ones? Are there any easy type of stands that I can put up easily and remove? Im pretty agile, even something that can just put me in a tree. Ive even debated getting some of those tree steps that screw in the tree and just find a tree that maybe has another tree leaned up against it with a spot to sit. Good idea? I know it seems a bit more dangerous, but I would get some elevation and as long as I practice extreme safety?

Thanks again, please keep em coming, I love getting on here and reading your replies. Im learning alot, AND it gets me all motivated to get back out there on the days that I sit for 5 hours and dont see a thing :)

Avoid screw-in steps...they do terrible damage to trees, as well as are a safety hazard. You don`t want to think about slipping and falling onto one. If anything, get the strap-on ladder sections and use a chain on stand. The whole system is realitively cheap. And as was said, never go up a tree without a fall restraint system. It may seem like a lot to pay, but the Hunter Safety System is much, much cheaper than an Emergency Room visit, or worse.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:35 pm

If I were you I would avoid the whole sitting on a tree limb thing. Way to risky especially when trying to shoot. You can get climbers relatively cheap but be very careful and please wear your safety harness. Wouldn't go to high until you get the hang of it. Tragically, alot of hunters don't come home because of falls, and I worked in an ER for a while and have taken care of several fall victims. A broken spine is not worth the extra couple of minutes it takes to secure yourself to a tree. Good luck!!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:07 pm

If your wanting a good and fairly light weight ladder stand I reccomend the stands from Big Dog,I have 2 of the Fox Hound ladder stands and they are 15 or 16 foot tall and secure to a tree with a lower brace and the ratchet strap on the top part that leans into the tree,it can take a little practice getting the stand up by yourself and it is easier to do with a helper/companion,I also use an extra camo ratchet strap to secure the stand even better!The Fox Hound stand has a padded seat,small camo padded arm rest and 2 zippered saddle bags for your gear,snacks and water bottles,you can also buy accessories for it like a folding gun rest,foot rest etc...!Climbing stands are more expensive but can be easier to carry,move and set up especially if you get an Aluminum one. 

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:04 am

Well, I went out this morning at about 5:45am. Got settled in my spot by 6:30. It was absolutely incredible. Within about 30 minutes I heard deer moving all around me, but of course couldnt see any of them. But it was exciting knowing they were all that close. About 15 minutes after daylight broke, I spotted a deer moving to my right. Of course I got extremely nervous and SLOOOOOOWLY moved a little in position to get my crossbow up. I had to wait for him to get into a shooting lane. Got him in my scope and low and behold, it was the same 10 point I saw before. I held the bow in position for at least 10 minutes before he got to a good spot. My arms were shaking. The bow was getting heavy but I finally had him in a good spot. At this point my whole body was shaking. I was nervous as hell. Then I screwed up. The whole distance thing destroyed any chance I had of killing this deer. I could not for the life of me decide whether he was 30 or 40 yds out. Or maybe further. I spent about 4 minutes trying to pick a crosshair to put him in. Finally I decided to go to my 3rd line. As soon as I had my finger on the trigger he looked right at me. I froze. And right before I pulled the trigger he bolted. Stopped a few yards up... snorted/wheezed a few times and took off. I didnt hear any movement for the next 2 hours.

Before I left, I walked it off to where he was. 30 yds on the nose. I had a clear shot on him and panicked. I beat myself up about it all the way back to the truck. I came to the conclusion though that tomorrow morning, if I see him again... Im taking the shot. I marked up to 30 yds on some trees so hopefully that helps. No more indecision, I blew a great opportunity to make my first deer a beautiful 10 pointer. Murphys law is I wont see him again. But there are more out there I guess.

Funny thing though. I heard at least 5 or 6 different movement areas, yet didnt see ONE doe. Just this buck. Its weird.

Tomorrow the wind will be blowing towards the north. (Into the direction the deer have been coming from) Im not sure how to handle that. There is no way to get up around them. Its all thickets and heavy brush up there.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 am

But again, you showed great restrain when you were unsure whether the shot was a good one or not. Bravo. I guarantee you, you`d rather go home from your hunt kicking yourself for not taking the shot, than spend hours looking for a deer you`ll not recover. That kind of kicking yourself doesn`t end, ever.

You`re learning invaluable lessons in very short order, which will only make you more experienced hunter beyond your years of experience.

Please, DO keep us posted of your hunting experiences, and especially when you connect. I think I can say for many of us, that we`re excited to hear more from you.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 am

Hunter480 is exactly right! Great decision not to take the shot. Your patience will pay off. Sounds like your in a great spot, but if you feel like the wind is going to cause you some difficulty and you don't have a 2nd option to go to, then you might even consider skipping the hunt until conditions are more favorable. I know, that's much easier said than done, but you want have to worry about contaminating your area.

I'm very excited for you and keep up the good posts. Sounds like your very disciplined in your hunting. Not many people would have shown that kind of restraint! Best of luck, it'll happen for ya!!

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Real quick here before I lay down to watch a movie and go to bed...

Tonight I managed to accomplish something Im not very proud of...

I got into the woods around 4:30 and settled in around 5. For the last week Ive been out every night and havent seen 1 deer. Not even heard anything moving, but on my way out I would always kick one up... so tonight, more of the usual. Sit till about 6:30 with no movement, get bored, assume another slow night, and creep my way out hoping to get lucky. Also let it be known that I tried a different spot tonight to let my other spot cool down for in the morning. On my way out as I get close to my "normal spot" I slow to a snails pace in hopes of seeing my nemisis 10 point. On cue as I step on crunchy leaves, I hear some movement. Same spot he comes out of every morning. And just like deja-vu I drop to my knees in the middle of the walking path. This time however Im still all camo'd and have my call around my neck. The movement stops and I hit him with my buck roar call. I hear movement coming closer. At this point Im pumped and determined to get him even if I have to chase him through the woods... again the movement stops. So I hit him with another shot of the buck roar. Movement again. Moving closer. This back and forth goes on for at LEAST fifteen minutes and Im losing light fast. I still havent seen him though. Im kneeling below the hill and Im behind a bush about 2 yards in front of me. I get him to right behind the bush and raise my crossbow. Im confident this time. I know I wont miss from 2 yards away. He stopped. I blew my buck roar one more time... movement... he's coming around the bush.... I click my safety off...

Out jumps a chipmunk onto a log a foot in front of me...

It took every ounce of humanity I had to not show it the business end of my broadhead. So tonight I managed to call in a chipmunk with my buck roar.

Im really starting to get the feeling this is going to turn into a 3+ page thread before I can finally announce a successful hunt and fill the page with my proud face holding a deer head. And were supposed to have crappy weather for the next 3 days. It is one of the most rewarding and challenging things Ive ever done in my life, but OH SO AGGRAVATING. Realtree makes it look SO easy :)

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:27 am

LOL!

We have all been there.

I have been duped so many times by stupid squirrels. The worst is the one time you ignore the rustling from what you think is just another squirrel and stand up to stretch stiff muscles. Turn and see a buck just looking at you! Happend to me last year. I just stood there with what must have been the dumbest suprised look on my face cause I was busted and not even my bow in hand after severral hours in the stand. Snort, turn and run. Nothing else I could do...

Hang in there. It will happen.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 am

Before I used a range finder, I paced off known distances around my stands. If there are too many small trees and you think you might get confused, put a little blaze on the tree with your pocket knife. One blaze for twenty yards, two for thirty, whatever. While you're sitting there with nothing to do waiting for a deer to show up, practice indentifying ranges and what pin/crosshair you will use should a deer step into a given shooting lane.

I still can't afford one of the newer pocket size range finders but I have an older 15 year old unit about the size of a large pair of binoculars. So when I get into a stand I range some landmarks so I can begin to formulate a plan should an opportunity arise. Then, I put it away and begin the thinking part of it.

This bowhunting thing you're trying to do is way more mental than many realize. You're reacting more than you're being pro-active at this point. This is completely normal for the new hunter. And at times for the rest of us!
You need to have a given plan for a given scenario, but more importantly, you need to really believe that you can pull it off. It is as much an act of will as it is mechanics.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting