New Hunter needs Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
cjkrw

RE: New Hunter needs Advice

Postby cjkrw » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 am

Well, Ive had 5 hunts in since my last post and haven't even seen a deer. Haven't even heard any movement. I dont understand what happened. The weather has been frigid so I figured things would pick up, not die down... Im taking a few days off from hunting because I have to look for work. Got laid off a few days ago so now I gotta find something and fast. Anyone hiring? I can do it all! :)  Will travel if the job is right!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:38 am

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

Well, Ive had 5 hunts in since my last post and haven't even seen a deer. Haven't even heard any movement. I dont understand what happened. The weather has been frigid so I figured things would pick up, not die down... Im taking a few days off from hunting because I have to look for work. Got laid off a few days ago so now I gotta find something and fast. Anyone hiring? I can do it all! :)  Will travel if the job is right!

This is why they call it "hunting" and not "grocery shopping" [;)]

Lot's of things can effect deer movements. Keep at it.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:41 am

CJKRW, Good luck with the job hunt.  Whatever you do don't give up.  My guess is the weather could have changed their habits some or maybe the wind had them smelling you.  Once you're working again I would seriously consider saving money for a climbing tree stand.  When you get time research them on Bass Pro or Cabella's website.  Have you read any Deer Hunting magazines yet?  They can really be helpful in teaching you about certain situations.  Good luck and keep us posted.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:52 am

When it rains it pours...

My buddy called today and informed me he needed his crossbow back. Guess I forgot to mention I was using a borrowed crossbow, lol. He hurt his shoulder and cant draw his bow back. So, Im afraid I wont be posting any new news in this thread for a while. Wish I could just hit the lottery :)

I would like to take a second though to thank everyone for all the help and continued interest in my first few hunting endeavors. Wish I could have had a better story to tell through the last week but it just wasnt in the books. Ill get back out there, its just a matter of when. Like everything else in the world, hunting isnt cheap ;)

If anyone knows of a bow I could get fairly cheap, let me know. Im talking like $50-100 cheap, lol. Closer to the $50 end to be honest. I know thats pretty impossible, but you never know unless you ask.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:05 am

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

If anyone knows of a bow I could get fairly cheap, let me know. Im talking like $50-100 cheap, lol. Closer to the $50 end to be honest. I know thats pretty impossible, but you never know unless you ask.

Found several crossbows on craiglist that are very resonable.  I'll send you pm with the links.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:42 pm

If you will come down to Huntington WV I'll give you an old bear whitetail bow ready to shoot, and for 45 bucks I'll custom build you a half dozen gold tip hunter XT arrows and even throw in some old muzzy broadheads that are still in good shape.  pm me and let me know.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Good luck finding work...Tough times right now!  Pinch the pennies...

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:27 am

Arrow, I messaged you

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:38 am

cjkrw

I realize times are tough so let me know if you want some old magazines.  I have a subscription to Deer and Deer hunting and keep all the issues going back a couple of years.  I could send you some of the older issues I have I no longer reference.  It's not like the deer have changed their habits in the past couple of years. 

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:41 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

cjkrw

I realize times are tough so let me know if you want some old magazines.  I have a subscription to Deer and Deer hunting and keep all the issues going back a couple of years.  I could send you some of the older issues I have I no longer reference.  It's not like the deer have changed their habits in the past couple of years. 

That would be great! Ill pm you my address.

Man you guys are all so GREAT! I cant even find friends like you around here... Its like a giant family...everyone is so willing to help!

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting